Paramedic slain at a Florida Wendy's

spenac

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080304/ap_on_...WxbzbRSXbpH2ocA

Paramedic slain at a Florida Wendy's By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer

12 minutes ago

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Paramedic Rafael Vazquez left a training course on how to help when several people are hurt at once, and went to lunch at a nearby Wendy's. He became exactly the kind of victim he was being trained to save.

As Vazquez stood at the counter waiting to exchange a promotional toy for his child, he was shot point blank in the back by a gunman wearing a jacket, tie and baseball cap. Four others were wounded by gunfire during the lunch hour rampage Monday, and the 60-year-old gunman — Alburn Edward Blake of West Palm Beach — committed suicide.

Investigators were still unsure why Blake, a handyman and maintenance worker, chose the crowded restaurant, and why he decided to kill in a seemingly random attack.

"This was not a robbery. He didn't demand anything," said Paul Miller, a Palm Beach County sheriff's spokesman. "Looks like this was just another random shooting like we've seen around the United States."

Miller said Blake had no relation to anyone at the restaurant and no suicide note was found. "We don't know why he picked this location to do this horrible deed," Miller said.

Vazquez, the slain off-duty firefighter, "probably didn't even see him," said Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue Deputy Chief Steve Delai. Vazquez's wife and child were outside in the parking lot when the shooting began.

Vazquez, 42, was on a lunch break Monday and had been attending a course called "Strategy and Tactics," after being promoted to lieutenant in January. Delai said the course teaches officers how to "manage large-scale incidents like we had today."

Witnesses said Blake entered the restaurant and went to a restroom. He appeared nervous when he emerged and killed Vazquez. He died at the scene without ever uttering a word.

The injured — Louis Rader, 65; his wife, Antonia, 62; Vanessa Soto, 16; and a 43-year-old man who was not identified — were hospitalized in stable condition, Miller said. Two others had minor injuries, including one person who was hurt while running away.

Bob Bertini, a Wendy's Inc. spokesman based in Dublin, Ohio, called the shooting "a senseless tragedy."

The mayhem unfolded on a major suburban road lined with strip malls, car dealerships and fast food restaurants, about five miles from downtown West Palm Beach.

Josh Maynard, 30, said he and his 20-year-old brother Jerry hit the floor when Blake opened fire. Jerry Maynard said the shooter held his gun sideways, repeatedly pulling the trigger, and said nothing.

He emptied at least one clip before shooting himself in the head.

"I just saw a lady with a little boy in her arms come running out screaming, 'Somebody's shooting!'" said Sandra Jackson, 43, of Palm Springs, who had been getting gas across the street.

One customer, who authorities called a hero, kicked the pistol away from the gunman after he'd shot himself, then started first aid on the wounded.

Neighbors described Blake as a quiet man who "kept to himself." Public records show that Blake owned a maintenance and handyman company until 2003. A 1996 story in The Palm Beach Post showed that he accidentally ran over an 18-month-old girl with his van, leaving her seriously injured. The story said he had a young daughter, who would now be a teenager.

Michele Grippe watched police search Blake's apartment after the shooting. "The only thing they took out of the house was a bag of pills," Grippe said. "Right now, I'm really, really shocked."

Vazquez's wife was a law enforcement officer, a corporal at the nearby Palm Springs Public Safety Department. The couple had one child together and four from previous relationships.

"It's just tragic," said Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue Captain Don Delucia.

Many thoughts and prayers [-o< to the loved one's and co-workers. This just breaks my heart.

I know it says he was off duty but I wonder that since he was in a class whether or not he was in uniform. People don't always identify uniforms correctly and could have been thought of as a police officer. I've seen it happen many times.

I know it says he was off duty but I wonder that since he was in a class whether or not he was in uniform. People don't always identify uniforms correctly and could have been thought of as a police officer. I've seen it happen many times.

Your post just reinforces why I strongly feel we need a more medical style uniform rather than a cop shirt. We had a good discussion about EMS distinct uniform a few months back on here.

I alike others keep his family and coworkers in my prayers and thoughts.

Although that is an interesting point, in this case the person also shot at others (not r/t EMS or uniforms) so it is mute point in this case.

From what I have read, it is ironic that the Paramedic returned back into to retrieve an inappropriate toy that was given to his child. Alike many other EMS and Fire was married to another emergency worker, typical.

It is such a shame, we can no longer go eat a meal in a public restaurant, attend school without worrying some nut job will come in and have to take a few out, before ending their pathetic life. I am sure they will attempt to attach PTSD to the assailant, because he accidentally ran over a child several years ago.

Really, what is becoming of this planet?

R/r 911

I join in mourning EMS "extended family member", Paramedic Rafael Vazquez.

It is such a shame, we can no longer go eat a meal in a public restaurant, attend school without worrying some nut job will come in and have to take a few out, before ending their pathetic life.

It is such a shame that we cannot even stay in the "safety" of our own homes, either. Here in New York City, over the last few years, we have had numerous incidents where someone discharges a firearm, either deliberately or accidentally, and the bullet goes through a wall or floor, and injures or kills someone trying to sleep in their own bed.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.