Running Red Lights/ Stop Signs

I have a real problem with drivers that just blow threw red lights or stop signs, especially when they don't even slow down. Drivers that think they have the right of way when they are running "hot" are a danger to everyone. I think it needs to be stressed more that when running an emergency that they do not have the right of way, but that it is a "courtesy" to be given the right of way by the other drivers. It's suppose to be taught in every class, but I think all too often it's not stressed enough. And there are too many civilian drivers that don't pay enough attention to be able to give the courtesy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 100% agree with you. Its my personal opinion that when you turn on lights and sirens you become responsible for yourself and each and every other idiot on the road. As for intersections controlled or not our policy is that the rig needs to be able to stop in 50 feet in other words you should crawl through an intersection. According to local highway patrol officers, if you are involved in an accident while driving code three be prepared to tell a jury of 12 people why you were driving that fast or why you didn't see the other guy. Bottom line watch your tail and be able to justify your actions.

Their is no justification for blowing red lights or stop signs. Slow down, stop, stay alive.

What about in the country where there is 1/2 mile visablity in every direction? :twisted:

I 100% agree with you. Its my personal opinion that when you turn on lights and sirens you become responsible for yourself and each and every other idiot on the road. As for intersections controlled or not our policy is that the rig needs to be able to stop in 50 feet in other words you should crawl through an intersection. According to local highway patrol officers, if you are involved in an accident while driving code three be prepared to tell a jury of 12 people why you were driving that fast or why you didn't see the other guy. Bottom line watch your tail and be able to justify your actions.

From someone who has been involved in several mva's in the ambulance, some while driving and some while attending, and most if not all but one were at an intersection, I have never been called in front of a jury to explain my actions. That is an overused cliche' in the business.

The cops know when they respond to the accident who was at fault and who wasn't. If you are driving with due regard(another word I hate) and you slow down, enter the intersection at a crawl and some yahoo hits you and is the only one at the intersection who hit you then you will be a rarity to have to go in front of a jury.

Now if you go in an intersection, don't slow down and more than one or two cars hit you or you hit a car that had the right of way with the green light then yes you may be in trouble.

Bottom line is, drivers of ambulances are not taught nearly enough about driving.

If you enter the intersection, stop and look all directions and make eye contact with every driver then you can be reasonably assured that you will make it thru without a hitch.

blow the red light and if you hit someone and you worked for me and the police ticketed you and said you blew the light, then pack your stuff and go home, "you are the weakest link"

The lights and sirens asks for the right of way it does not guarantee it. If you are not slowing down and/or stopping at intersections, regardless of red lights, yield signs, or stop signs, you are not doing your job safely.

Best advice is to clear all intersections before you approach and go through. It never fails that some idiot, who is deaf and/or retarded gets pissed and goes around the other vehicles that are yielding the right of way to you. I have first hand experience with this and it hurt a couple people in the back working a code. The intersection was clear, they went through it and almost made it across when someone went around the stopped vehicles (an old man with no patience) and t-boned the ambulance. He thought he did nothing wrong and had no clue that the ambulance was in the intersection (deaf?).

Even when you're careful things can still go bad. Just stay focused and drive carefully.

What about in the country where there is 1/2 mile visablity in every direction? :twisted:

Still slow down and stop. We have some intersections that appear to have a mile of visibility each way but what you don't realize is that there is a low area that you do not see cars in until to late. One of those just got made into a four way stop and it is in the middle of nowhere because it appears clear but really isn't( numerous fatalities over the past several years at the intersection ). Don't take it for granted. Take an extra 10 seconds and stay alive. If I'm working on the patient I want a nice smooth safe ride. I do not mind working an extra minute or 10 if it means I go home alive and well.

Hence why we should take the lights and sirens off the box.

Does not matter if you have 10 miles of sight distance and have Superman X-Ray vision.

Its the one time you become inattentive and 'comfortable' that will get you and others hurt and or killed.

Driving like an ass only makes you one...

(p.s. I am also an EVOC instructor and can speak with a little authority on the matter)

Brent, he doesn't just miss the traffic, he flies over the traffic after applying the turbo boost function. It's amazing in the show how many front ends were visibly damaged in the jump but amazingly the car was intact in the next shot.

I think we need hover crafts that fly 30 feet over the flow of traffic.

Or transporters to get to the scene and then to transport directly to sickbay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.