Medic Attempts Suicide...Lose job or no?

I posted my dislike for the woman because I in fact do not like her. However I did not say that I believe she should be fired or let go.

These are rumors, and only rumors, and have not been substantiated in anyway whatsoever. My post was meant to convey the question to everyone:

If this sort of thing happened in your company/volly squad or the like, what would you do, how would it be handled.

Perhaps I should have left my personal dislike of the individual out as it really doesn't pertain the the post, but at the time I felt (foolishly)that it mattered in some way.

A bit more information:

She has only been employed at her paid job for 2 months, they have a 1 year probationary period.

She has been with the volley squad for 3 years.

Should she be removed from the paid job? Should she be removed from the volunteer squad?

I personally believe that no she should not be removed. She is a good medic and, while my personal feelings toward her are to the contrary, is good at what she does.

Should one stupid episode be enough to dismiss someone? No...should she be placed on indefinite medical leave until all her ducks are in a row? I believe that yes she should be.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the sticking point for many is the recent "bipolar dx" and that is why many are waving the flag of "get out of EMS! Here's your sign!" regarding this individual.

This isn't going to be the only incident. It never is with someone diagnosed with bipolar disorder, or cyclothymia, or any of the related conditions. Even when they are well controlled with medications, there is the potential for building a med tolerance or developing a toxic episode (at the prescribed dose, no less!) both of which lead to altered mental status that is not easily nor quickly resolved and could put patients in danger.

Now that this has had a while to percolate through my brain a bit, I'd say it is all dependent on the level of severity. Is this person truly bipolar? Cyclothymic? What's the cycling time between mania and low? Obviously the low was very bad... how bad does the mania get? If this is someone who ends up being on a long cycle and having only brief episodes of either low or mania, perhaps an IFT job with a lower stress threshold could be appropriate while keeping this person in the field.

I do agree that 911 response is probably not the place for them to stay... but education (especially education about the effects of psychiatric conditions on EMS providers) might be the ticket, especially if this person likes to teach. I don't think they should be precluded from *any* involvement in the field, and I also question the accuracy of the diagnosis because many people with severe depression get misdiagnosed as bipolar and vice versa... until there's been a window for the meds to be tweaked and more data gathered by the individual's mental health provider, what do we know?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

As an EMS manager, I would say she's....o-u-t of here! Sorry, she is under a one year probationary period (which means, I can discharge for no reason). I don't need a reason, and why should I increase my risks and liability?

I know, it sounds cold. So be it. It's a business and that business involves lives (both patients and employees). It's called risk management, she's a risk and I managed it.

Life sucks, but in reality she has known she has problems (even before Dx.). Choosing a highly stressful profession is not a wise decision, but I did not choose it for her. Do her a favor and direct her to another profession.

R/r 911

As an EMS manager, I would say she's....o-u-t of here! Sorry, she is under a one year probationary period (which means, I can discharge for no reason). I don't need a reason, and why should I increase my risks and liability?

I know, it sounds cold. So be it. It's a business and that business involves lives (both patients and employees). It's called risk management, she's a risk and I managed it.

Life sucks, but in reality she has known she has problems (even before Dx.). Choosing a highly stressful profession is not a wise decision, but I did not choose it for her. Do her a favor and direct her to another profession.

R/r 911

Unfortunately, thinking about this all over again, I would have to agree. Only given the fact, that in looking around in my personal classroom yesterday. Out of the 45 of us there, only 10 want to be just Emt's / paramedics (not fire). So, without knowing any of them personally, and just looking at numbers here. If this happened in my area, there are atleast 10 waiting to possibly take/fill her spot. Someone without a hx of suicide or even any mental illness.

With the new information given by the poster, thanks for that clarification.

I'd let her go too.

It's not my responsibility to worry about her.

Plus as a risk management part, I am also mitigating my risk in my health insurance pool as I will not have to cover someone whose medical bills are likely to drive my health insurance rates up in the next rate quote cycle.

But if we get universal healthcare we can all pay for this persons health issues.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.