Medic Attempts Suicide...Lose job or no?

I know the old saying." 1 out of 3 is crazy"; I know what profession they tend to be attracted to. Again, why don't we require a mental evaluation checking for stability, and potential problems?

Unless your state legislature requires the evaluation, I don't see it happening. Even if it is done, if it's watered down to the point of a multiple choice questionaire it won't do any good. The only way something like this seems to get done is when a pt. is killed and the family devotes a major amount of time to see that a bill gets passed.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea. If somebody can make it happen, great. Maybe other states will catch on. It just seems like it takes a tragedy to make a change.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually all law enforcement agencies, that I am aware of requires psychological testing and evaluation, as well as some Fire Services now do, why not especially EMS?

Especially the clientele and the parts of the job we are exposed to. Would it not be better to see potential problems or even make limits alike LEO have that they are not psychologically suited for the profession?

R/r 911

Having dealt with many bipolar people... Michael nailed it... it is very difficult when one is detached from reality on either a high or a low to be responsible for and compliant with the meds. Often bipolar people need a caring other to help them monitor what they are doing.... not speaking from personal experience with either the detachment or the meds thank goodness, but I have watched it happen so many times. The sad part is that many of these people are brilliant and immensely capable when they are in the middle ground or well controlled by the meds (and a balance can be very hard to strike for some!) I sincerely hope this woman gets help. I would suspend her in-service on a medical leave and then reassess in a few months. This is a medical problem like any other.... --Wendy (keyboard on the fritz!) CO EMT-B

Sorry but the employee needs a new job.

Hopefully a desk job with billing or supply is possible for this individual.

Michael did one of the best explanations I have ever seen. I will not get in to my back story on this subject but I do have intimate knowledge and experience of this condition with someone close to me. It is one of those diseases that no one understands until it affects them personally. It is fun to make fun of and easily diagnose someone as bipolar as I have heard it many times.

First off, like ADHD, there are many different types of bipolarism, each with their own unique trademark. One of the most successful treatments for all the types, aside from a supportive family or friend is ROUTINE. They have to have a very reliable, straightforward routine daily. This helps them maintain a grip on their diseases. EMS is anything but routine. The sleepless nights, surges of adrenaline, the unknowing of what is next, are all the things a person with bipolar does NOT need.

I do agree with Rid with regards to the pre employment screenings. The PD and FD have been doing it for years as I have sat through a few of them myself. (Yes I passed :lol: )

Actually all law enforcement agencies, that I am aware of requires psychological testing and evaluation, as well as some Fire Services now do, why not especially EMS?

I'm sorry to say that this is not the norm for my state. It is being proposed now as a young local officer took the lives of 6 kids in their late teens and then his own life while off duty. Although I don't belive this would have never happened based on whether or not he was a cop, the mentality may have been discovered and treated. Hopefully it does get passed.

This obviously is all personal opinion on my part, and mostly empathy as I try and put myself in her shoes.

I don't think she should be fired. I think that she should obviously have some time to off work to regroup, and get the help she needs.

I think that she should seek help from someone who not only understands her condition, but possibly, the EMS profession as well. That way she is given the tools for not only her life, but for her work too in order to properly deal with everything.

I believe that she should be allowed back to work when given the green light by her Dr..And that she should have to report to her employer, for a predetermined amount of time (like a year or so) to make sure that she stays with her treatments, counseling, medication(s) etc.

And then after that predertermined amount of time is up, have everything evaluated, and see how everyone stands at that point.

...The PD and FD have been doing it for years as I have sat through a few of them myself. (Yes I passed :lol: )

Proof positive that their nets have HUGE holes in them...Just sayin'... :wink:

Dwayne

I don't think she should be fired. I think that she should obviously have some time to off work to regroup, and get the help she needs.

I think that she should seek help from someone who not only understands her condition, but possibly, the EMS profession as well. That way she is given the tools for not only her life, but for her work too in order to properly deal with everything.

I believe that she should be allowed back to work when given the green light by her Dr..And that she should have to report to her employer, for a predetermined amount of time (like a year or so) to make sure that she stays with her treatments, counseling, medication(s) etc.

And then after that predetermined amount of time is up, have everything evaluated, and see how everyone stands at that point.

Not to be rude, and the thoughts are nice but let's be real. Is the employer going to pay her while she gets her poop together? I agree with AK if a possible desk job is available, that would be great.

I had the unfortunate event of working with a great medic that had major Bi-Polar disorder. I could tell when they were off their medications. They literally cried about coming to work and the spontaneity of events. Although they were medically knowledgeable they were a horrible employee. I was able to detect their symptoms immediately and confronted them.

I highly encouraged them to leave the field as this is not conducent with their illness. As AK described it tends to help that they are in a stable and predictable and routine environment. Unfortunately, they attempted at several other EMS agencies and have failed as well. Now having a reputation...

Again, maybe we should recognize that this business is not for everyone. Alike other jobs that require physical and mental demands, we should empathise it is essential to have a well balance mental health as well. This should really be emphasized from the Basic level and especially as the responsibility increases. Sorry, we would not encourage students with severe osteoathritis and other illnesses to enter the field, why should we not provide the same information to those that have mental illnesses?

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.