Will the real EMT's please Stand

KAThomas

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the BLS VS. ALS and USA EMS is better then Canda EMS debates is getting old. And the name of the chat room should be changed to "the days of our lives chat room". Cause it is just one big soap opera..... :lol:

I guess so... the idea here is that complacency breeds an environment that hurts all the good people to the point of forcing them away from what I consider to be an honorable and upstanding job & profession. First on shouldn't be first to wait... I gave oral glucose to a patient who had a BS of 27 by a family members Accucheck, pt meets the criteria... the Engine is waiting for the Squad... why? I did my job AVPU V/S ABC's O2 & Gluc... medics get a BS of 58... push D50 = b/s 157 package and were gone...

How many of my "peers" would wait... along with the 5 EMT/FF from the engine and watch the coma?

Here's a modified statement from the PHTLS book I provide to all my "new Hire trainees":

Our patients did not choose us. Rather, they present to us because of some traumatic occurrence that has resulted in injury or illness requiring our assistance. We, however, have chosen to treat them. We could have chosen another profession, but we did not. We have accepted the responsibility for patient care in some of the worst situations: when patients are at their most stressed and anxious, when we are tired or cold, when it is rainy and dark, and often when conditions are unpredictable. We must either accept this responsibility or surrender it. We must give our patients the very best care that we can – not with unchecked equipment, not with incomplete supplies, not with yesterday's knowledge, and not with indifference. We cannot know what medical information is current, and we cannot claim to be ready to care for our patients, without reading and learning each day. At the end of each run, we should feel that the patient received nothing short of our very best. (NAEMT PHTL 6th Ed.)

This is very good. As soon as my Mod A FF2 Training is done, I will be running EMS calls on a regular basis with the fire department I work with. Sometimes the ambulance is 10 minutes out. Im not going to hold of assessment or appropriate treatment because the ambulance crew is still waking up and it took me less than 1 minute to get to the station and we are out the door in 3. The example of glucose. You bet I would give it if I had a reliable BGL and the patient showed hypoglycemic signs. Then the paramedics can start D50 if they wish, but they will be informed fully of what I have assessed and what drugs I have given. And this will draw heat, but if I cant get an AVPU response from my patient , I am also going to call for order for glucagon. These are the orders from my supervisor. My Chief. If you are able and ready to give correct tx based on correct assessment, you dont need to wait so you dont bruise egos.

This is very good. As soon as my Mod A FF2 Training is done, I will be running EMS calls on a regular basis with the fire department I work with. Sometimes the ambulance is 10 minutes out. Im not going to hold of assessment or appropriate treatment because the ambulance crew is still waking up and it took me less than 1 minute to get to the station and we are out the door in 3. The example of glucose. You bet I would give it (How are you going to give glucose? Orally? On a decreased LOC patient? That's brilliant) if I had a reliable BGL and the patient showed hypoglycemic signs. Then the paramedics can start D50 (and suction the oral glucose out of the patient's airway) if they wish, but they will be informed fully of what I have assessed and what drugs I have given. (What other drugs are you going to give besides glucose? Atropine? CaCl? MsO4?) And this will draw heat, but if I cant get an AVPU response from my patient , I am also going to call for order for glucagon. (Basics giving glucagon? More brilliance) These are the orders from my supervisor. My Chief. (ummm what backwoods shithole are you in that supervisors and chiefs write protocol?) If you are able and ready to give correct tx based on correct assessment, you dont need to wait so you dont bruise egos (It is not about bruising egos scooter. It is about qualified individuals giving the proper treatment, I am sorry you are not qualified to be giving the medications you mentioned.)

Steps onto soapbox....

WTF!!!!!

...steps down.

Crosses Illinois off as places to visit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.