Is It Proper For Federal Agency To Compete With Local EMS?

medic511

I worked with a lot of NPS Rangers in the past, and they are a very professional group.

Ranger training is not equal to PJ training, or even close, but they do have a lot of great traning, here is a sample:

After Hire as an NPS Law Enforcement Ranger you go to FLETC for 18-21 weeks of initial LE training (The number keep changing 18, 19, 20)

Then you go to a large "busy" park for Field Training which lasts an additional 8-12 weeks.

Then you are cut loose on your own as an LE. If you need to be cross trained, there is NREMT, some Basic some I-99 and even some Medics"

They also offer a several GREAT Technical rescue courses:

the basic is 1 week, then they have additional "Advanced Rigger' classes.

In addition to that they have all kinds of structural and wildland firefighting classes, some great tracking courses, and other things like that.

In closing, the basic LE ranger can be cut loose after FLETC and field training, and then go back for additional traning when it becomes available, and depending where you work in the park dictates what kind of training you get.

If you are a front country ranger, you get more LE, and if you are a back country ranger, you might get more wildlife management classes.

Ohh,, and Kevin Moses is an LE Ranger and a climbing rqanger, and he is one of the teachers of the NPS Tech Rescue Course, He is a very professional guy, and I learned alot when i went to one of the courses several years ago.

Google NPS 51 i think that is the directive of "EMS operations for national parks"

I worked seasonally in a park in NY many years ago, and ironically, we all had NYS EMT cards, and after several years they told us we had to get NR, since NYS did not recognize NR, and none of us wanted to pay to get certified just for a PT job, @ $10.00 per hour, we all quit, I dont know what the resolution was cause i never went back.

They had some bizarre rules but the overall level of care and equipment was fine.

Many NPS parks run a large EMS contingent with a MD, and several medics, they even have ambulances on tracks like a snow cat.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All national Park Rangers are NR and have been for years- one of the reasons is you might get transfered to another location, where that NAT Reg card comes in Handy-All The Rangers at Grand Canyon and Here at Rocky Mountain National Park and Mesa Verde are Nat Reg... Colorado is not a Nat Reg state but is used for Testing-Even the Military MAST Medics must be NR Paramedics..Doesn't hurt to be NR. Don't have to work at PT job to get it and hold on to it.--I worked for the Treasury Departmrent and was a EMT and COP, it was not required then, but is now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.