In need of a class on "How to commit suicide"

medic1963

Dammit dwayne, you are right again.

I've literally treated hundreds of "attempts" and of those I can count on both hands a maybe a toe or two those who really did want to die.

You are right, they will find a way. Of those who really wanted to die I would have to say that the majority did eventually find a way to successfully end their lives. I know of at least 6 patietns who I ran who attempted but failed(some terribly failed re: shotgun blew jaw and teeth out) and others who took enough tylenol to end it but were found early enough.

if they want to die they will die somehow - intentionally usually.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Children are the most successful at committing suicide. Rarely will they have a botched suicide attempt. If it is botched, it is probably from some type of mechanical failure and not for a lack of trying. Kids take their troubles to heart and have not mastered the coping or attention seeking skills that adults have.

I know of at least 6 patietns who I ran who attempted but failed(some terribly failed re: shotgun blew jaw and teeth out) and others who took enough tylenol to end it but were found early enough.

if they want to die they will die somehow - intentionally usually.

Tylenol OD is probably one of the worst ways to do a suicide attempt. Unfortunately many do not realize that the permanent liver damage may become a very slow painful death. Most of the people were just wanting some attention or crying out for help. Now they find themselves on a long liver transplant list. Surprisingly, the search for a new liver actually brings meaning to the lives of some.

rip.jpg

I love it! I know that suicide and mental illness is not a traditionally funny topic. However, when you've work the 'biz' long enough and see people's pathetic attempts to cry out for attention- it does get a little ridiculous! Stop being babies! If you hurt emotionally, get help! Don't try to get as much sympathy as you can to make sure people care about you in the first place!

but suicide attempts that are just that attention getters is really what some people are after.

This is what makes it hard on the system. You get someone who does this for attention and it takes up a resource that should be out there dealing with patients who really need them. I'm not saying that the patient doesn't deserve ambulance transport and if they indeed did do something that could harm themselves if left to it's own device then by all means take care of them but if this is their way of asking for attention then that's the double edge sword.

I always went by the old ER rule that the bigger the tube to pump the stomach and the more noxious you make it for the patient the less likely they will do this stunt again. For those who are simply begging for attention I gave em all the attention they begged for in the form of a large Ewold or Stomach tube. Restrain them from pulling the tube and it sends a message.

I have no problem making things very noxious for those who simply made the statement that they took a bottle of pills after their boyfriend broke up with them. Most of the time these people do this to make the significant other feel sorry for them and that sorry sap will come running right back to their arms. Something that they intended anyway. Well sorry young lady, NO your boyfriend cannot ride in the ambulance with me nor can he stay with you in the ER room while I remove the stomach contents and see that there are no pill fragments in there when there should definatly be some. If you took the pills 30 minutes ago then they should be in your stomach still.

Sit back, enjoy the tube and then enjoy the 15000 bill that you will receive for an overnight ICU stay and subsequent psych facility stay.

For those of you question my empathy, don't I've seen it all and the person who does this to get her boyfriend back doesn't deserve my sympathy or empathy.

We shall agree to disagree, as suicide is not funny. I have lost at least 5 friends and colleagues to suicide.

One of them, so many of us saw the signs and yet did nothing, like giving away his stuff, and posting a "Premise History" in the computer, that when someone typed in for his address on the computer assisted dispatch system, a message would come up saying the address was that of a Member Of Service.

That message of it being an MOS was set to expire 2 days after his body was found.

2 of them "chewed a handgun barrel".

Another, after turning off the heat, and opening the house windows during a single digit temperature cold spell, injected air into his arm. They found him when the water from the frozen to broken water pipes started flowing into the street.

Forgive me if I don't join in the laughter on suicides.

I'll save my laughing on deaths, in a limited fashion, to those mentioned in the "Darwin Awards.

All too true. I've seen it in all shapes and forms, in the real world and in the military. Heck, I had a first responder, USMC, (that I personally trained) use the 18Ga Jelco catheters to bleed himself out in his barracks room over a three day weekend. I guess things have changed in this world where suicide was once something to laugh out loud about and now is something we just turn our head to the side and mutter a sympathetic sound. We don't want to be pigeonholed as being crude, unethical, non-PC or whatever current monomer is being used. Yes, sometimes I want to laugh but I've grown up, decided to move on in my career( Paramedic then Para to RN) and realized I don't have room for it in my life. So no, I don't blame anyone for finding humor in it. Sometimes laughing is a better release than crying. Sometimes a laugh is just that, a laugh...

We seem to have a run on suicide attempts here...several in a day, then it slacks off...maybe it's the same all over.

The only "successful" one I have been to was an 80 yr old man who fired point blank into his temple.

The rest are mostly BS "I took too many pills or I am GOING to take all these pills" etc .

Richard, I think we've ended up on different pages here...

I thought that most felt suicide is tragic. We're not condoning suicide, simply poking a little fun at the ones that claim that they've attempted/are going to attempt it, yet really have not intention of ever doing so.

Even JPINFV's little cartoons go a bit far for me, but don't lead me to believe in any way that he thinks that the actual death of someone else is funny or desireable.

I guess I have a hard time giving respect to those I've listed above, when it feels like it puts them in the same class as those that have taken their own lives. It kind of pisses me off to mix the pretenders with those that were terminally in anguish. See what I mean?

Laughing at them keeps me from being pissed at them to a point...Not saying it's right...simply that it's my way.

Dwayne

The patients that get me the most are the ones who call 911 claiming a Tylenol OD. EMS rushes out there. They start an IV and do their assessments. They come in, take up a bed, get charcoal, and a workup only to find out that their acetaminophen levels are ZERO!! I mean if you are going to try to get some attention by attempting to take your life....at least attempt something. Posers! Fakers! Liars! OH the desperation of some people! I think if you are so into yourself that you pull a stunt like that because you aren't getting the attention you think you deserve, then you just don't have enough to keep your mind occupied! Volunteer or something. Do some worth while activity to help your community and get your mind off of yourself. There are people out there with REAL problems that could use your help and resources!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.