Use of Vasopressin

Ridryder 911

Do you use Vsopressin in lieu of Epi for aystole/v-fib ?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes..most of the times
    • Yes..sometimes.. depends
    • No...never

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Yeah, we follow ACLS, like most people. But, I like the idea of vasopressin giving me one less thing to keep track of for a bit.

But, we do not use vasopressin for asystole. Mayeb for the next set of protocols.

What we have found locally is a very good save rate IF we arrive with a patient in v-fib and they are still in v-fib after the stacked shocks, that epi-shock followed by bicarb-shock. Note: by the time we arrive (average of 8 min or less) and we get that far in the protocol, the pt has already been down at least 10 minutes.

I have a question.....Why are some of you using Bicarb so early in your algorhythm? Is it not, Epi - shock, Amio or vasopressin - shock etc.

I was under the impression that Bicarb was a last choice in ACLS resuss just prior to terminating efforts ( if that is in your protocol).

I am just learning this right now, and the question is just off the top of my head.

yeah, I know what the ACLS protocol says. Our services protocol has a slight alteration for some study. If the pt has been down for at least 10 min and is intubated, you can give bi-carb as early as you can fit it in without slowing down your other treatments.

According to the way we were taught ACLS, the algorhythm is:

Check for responsiveness

ABC's, etc.

CPR

Stacked set of 3 shocks

Epi or Vasopressin

CPR

Shock

CPR

Epi

CPR

Amiodarone

CPR

Shock

CPR

Either 2nd dose of Amiodarone or Lidocaine

CPR

Shock

CPR

Either 2nd dose of Lidocaine (if Applicable) or Mag Sulfate

All with your pulse checks and Epi q 3-5 minutes

by that time you may have been in your code for about 15-20 minutes if you have been then you can give your Sodium Bicarb at that time to possibly reverse the alkalotic/acidotic state that they may be in.

But then again that is how we were taught. Everyone is different.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.