In EMS, can obese ever be professional?

BEorP

Just wondering what others think about this topic. With the growing "obesity epidemic" in North America, can someone who is working in EMS ever really appear professional while being fat? As much as it may or may not be their own fault (i.e. genetics may play a large role) can this really appear professional to the public when they see health care providers who clearly are not healthy themselves?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, this is a topic that's looking to go downhill, and FAST!

Let me ask a different question.....can smokers in EMS be professional? Dont' you think patients can smell smoke off of a smoker's uniform?

Or alcoholics? What if an alcoholic comes to work smelling like booze?

Or anybody else with an addiction, for that matter?? Why we just picking on the "obese"?

IMO, this is a topic that's looking to go downhill, and FAST!

Let me ask a different question.....can smokers in EMS be professional? Dont' you think patients can smell smoke off of a smoker's uniform?

Or alcoholics? What if an alcoholic comes to work smelling like booze?

Or anybody else with an addiction, for that matter?? Why we just picking on the "obese"?

I'm not "picking on" anyone, it is just a discussion. Go right ahead and discuss smokers and alcoholics too if you like.

Yes I smoke

No I never smoke on shift or in uniform

Yes I consider myself less of a professional because of it.

Yes I judge others by thier choices, therefore if they are overweight due to an illness i do not judge and will view them as a professional.

However if you choose to smoke in uniform, drink before your shift, and eat McDonalds every meal resulting in you becoming an overweight, out-of shape stinky slob, I will not even give you the time of day to say hello.

From my experience most obeise people who are actively working a job such as ours, have only a mild influence over thier weight, I try not to judge overweight people based on thier

weight.

BTW as my avatar clearly shows, I am 6'5 - 135IBS, can I be judged as unprofessional for being so skinny?

Just wondering what others think about this topic. With the growing "obesity epidemic" in North America, can someone who is working in EMS ever really appear professional while being fat? As much as it may or may not be their own fault (i.e. genetics may play a large role) can this really appear professional to the public when they see health care providers who clearly are not healthy themselves?

Quick clarification, are you talking about morbidly obese (public perception of the term obese) or people who have a bit of extra weight that pushes them into the medical definition of obese?

I am considered by medical means "obese" and I would like to see a doctor do my job all day. I am on my feet all day long, I work as a CNA so I am lifting, turning, moving, running, pushing, pulling, all day. I have had 300 lb doctors tell me I need to lose 70 lbs and I laugh. I don't have high cholestrol or blood pressure. I work out everyday on top of work. I have lifted weights since I was in highschool hence a large part of my lower bodies weight is not fat, but muscle. I don't drink, don't smoke and am as healthy as a horse. You shouldn't be judging by outward appearance. I work a lot of very thin, smokers, who by all means are very unhealthy. So don't judge a book by it's cover.

...ever really appear professional while being fat?

I don't believe this was started as a health contest. The question seems to be can you "appear" professional and be fat? I'm guessing he's referring to the public perception as well as that of the the other health care professions.

I believe it's very difficult. On my clinicals I've worked with a basic that is pretty overweight, yet is the pure definition of professional. Always well groomed, very intelligent, very competent at her basic duties, and is respected by those she works with, doctors, nurses and patients. But I believe it's because she regularly does everything right. Her appearance, demenor, posture, grammar, etc. There is a paramedic I've seen that would fit the same description.

The rest? They simply appear to be slobs to me. Stink of smoke, shirt untucked, unshaved, hair uncombed, belly hanging over your belt? Any of these, I think slob.

Understand, I'm 6' 230lbs. When I look in the mirror I see a cow...but losing the weight takes effort and committment, of which my available stores are spread pretty thin at the moment. So I'm not making a rational judgement of these other folks, simply giving my knee jerk reaction first impression of them.

I'm also completely aware of the fact that I must negate my appearance with superior behavior if I'm to show those whos opinions I respect that I am more than I appear to be at first blush. It actually works for me at the moment, because I wish to learn to be more than I appear to be at first blush.

I believe the flip side to be true as well. Show up well groomed, well muscled, clean, smelling sweet as a spring day? People will believe you're professional even if you're a complete knuckle head. Temporarily.

For those of us that have weight to lose, need to quit smoking, should shower more regularly and feel we shouldn't be judged by our appearance?

Welcome to the real world. If you want the respect given by default to those with a more conservative appearance , play the game. If it's not worth the effort, then walk the path you've chosen.

For me personally? If you show confidence, competence, self respect and compassion...Most everything else becomes invisible anyway...

Dwayne

Note: First edit for spelling. Second edit because I forgot to explain my first edit. :oops:

Its all about fitness for me. I'm a bodybuilder. I'm 6'5" and 250lbs with bf% around 12-15 right now. Going to cut down some bodyfat for spring and summer.

Just the lifting at work alone justify working out. The amount of people in my service on light duty sickens me. How hard is it to put in at least 5 hours a week working out. I do at least 8-10 hours a week and still have a full complete life in all areas. And best of all I feel great all the time.

I hate lazy people. Tired is one thing, lazy is just ignorant.

No it isn't professional to be huffing and puffing just carrying your bags into a house, nor to smell of smoke, alcohol, etc...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.