Proper extrication. NOT!!!!!! Debate it after news clip

spenac

Did they do extrication right?  

8 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not enough video

While be it I could understand rapid Ex due to safety being they're in the middle of a busy highway, there is still no reason why a KED couldn't of been utilized. I've learned the hard way, too weak c-spine can lead to a good bashing or two.

Just think about it, with this video...... If the dude ended up having a c3 or 4 fracture ( I know we don't judge based on MOI, but still there is the word CONSIDER C-SPINE for a reason, with the video evidence and X-rays, it could prove very badly for the medic in charge.

Even with not putting the patient into a KED, a KODE, an IDEA, or whatever brand of vest-style immobilizer device your service used, the crew shown should have still positioned the gurney and long spine board as near as possible to the patient, including putting one end of the board as a bridge between the car seat and the gurney, tilting while supporting the patient's head, neck and spine in as near to a straight line as possible to lay the patient onto the board, and slide the patient onto the board.

I have commented on quick availability of getting additional help, as, yes, I am urban (can one get more urban than New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Ottawa, Perth, London, Paris, Stuttgart, Gotham City, or Metropolis?), but I have used bystanders quite often. A simple request to the crowd to have someone come over and just "brace this thing so it don't move while I do this" is usually sufficient to get help. As this was on an apparently well traveled road, in decent weather (no rain or snow showing) during daylight, such bystander assist could have been readily available from cars stopped due to the original accident.

I also admit this source of additional aid is not always available, even in high density populated areas, due to the time of day or night, inclement weather, or indifferent folks with a "that's your job, not mine" attitude.

The service shown is a fairly large one. There are also numerous paid and volly agencys in the area that could have been called in to help if needed.

There was no need for rapid extrication. The patient was not in immediate danger. Traffic was not an issue. Even if they had felt he needed rapid extracation it would have been better to support his neck and slide him onto a properly placed board, rather than letting him crawl backwards onto the board.

I can only hope, as none of us in EMT City were there (or was someone there?), that they asked the patient of they were having any blurred vision, headaches, or tingling in the extremities. If yes, good reason for full spinal immobilization, even if it turns out that it wasn't needed.

Are the schools still teaching "Over-treat"? It's always better to overdo things and not have needed it, than under-treat and cause harm by the lack of treatment.

...Although this may not be a perfect extrication, I certainly expected it to be worse based on the initial comments.

I agree, far from perfect..not even good. I was expecting worse though..Not sure what. I don't think a KED or equivalent was needed..I don't like them much as a rule..

By the way these are paid fire/ems doing the extrication.

I don't know what paid service or not has to do with it..Paid EMT's can be just as clueless as volunteers..ya know?

:wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.