A little confused on which EMT class to take

Jake666

I'm am trying to get certified as an EMT-B but I'm very unsure which way I should go about it.

One program, Jeffstat in philly, offers a full-time course, M-TH from 9-4 for 8 weeks. Price is $1000

The other program, through Montco, offers a course from 2/25 - 8/15, class meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7-10pm. Price is $235

Why is one program much longer than the other? Why is the other so much more expensive?

Thanks, Jake

While I can't offer any sort of analysis on the program quality or the reasons behind the cost, it is important to note that EMS education is based off of clock hours of class time and not length of the course.

The first program, roughly calculated, has about 192 course hours (given an hour for lunch each day), while the other course has 144 course hours. Honestly, I don't feel that 50 hours is really that much more time. It's only about 8-9 more days of classwork [2 weeks using their schedule]. Essentially both are the same length, just one is spread out over several more months and is more friendly to working adults and college students.

Thanks for your response.

I should have mentioned that the second program also has an occasional Saturday class.

Do EMT-B courses have to be accredited? I'm having a hard time finding out whether or not the second program (Montco) is accredited.

Go with the one that is easiest for your schedule, and/ or think you can afford. :study:

Honestly, I don't feel that 50 hours is really that much more time.

If they were two classes with 1150 hours and 1200 hours, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But considering 50 extra hours would be adding another 1/3rd on to the class hours, I find that to be quite significant.

But considering 50 extra hours would be adding another 1/3rd on to the class hours, I find that to be quite significant.
In Jake666's second post he mentions " occasional Saturday classes". Depending on the number of occasional classes, it would cut down on that 50 hr's significantly.

In Jake666's second post he mentions " occasional Saturday classes". Depending on the number of occasional classes, it would cut down on that 50 hr's significantly.
Indeed, was not making an opinion either way, was just pointing that fact out. By the way, my class started out as "occasional Saturday classes" and ended up being every Saturday. Don't forget to plan some time for additional classes like that, as well as some time to review. Good luck whichever class you end up choosing.

I appreciate all the responses. I think I might go with the the second program, Montco. But, I'm having a hard time finding out if it's accredited. I know the Medic schools must be accredited, is it the same for Basics?

Jake

That might be something that only people in your area will know. You might want to contact your state or county office of EMS.

[hr:b4a47ffe65]

If they were two classes with 1150 hours and 1200 hours, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But considering 50 extra hours would be adding another 1/3rd on to the class hours, I find that to be quite significant.

While I agree that more hours should lead to a better education [it depends on how the course utilizes that extra time], 50 hours is hardly enough to satisfy the extra time that should be required for Basics. It also isn't nearly enough for the people who like to go "Well, MY class was X hours longer than 120 hours so you fail." More hours is definitely moving in the right direction, but it's hardly enough to be considered better than someone who took a shorter class.