How In The World...??

firedoc5

400 lb lady throws penny down well....while she is leaning over to look she falls in....she falls about 15 feet down and then gets stick upside down.... :shock: not kidding....happened last year.

There's always tow trucks on call.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a guy go into full arrest while staining the back deck of his house. We had dark wood stain all over everything, LifePak 12, apcor, us...

Actually we knew the family. Their oldest son had a c-spine fx. which he had a halo. He was already 6'9". And I forget how tall he was with the halo. Transported him a few times to St.Louis. Had to load him up feet first into the rig. And we still had to be careful when we closed the doors. It was kewl though. He usually bought everyone lunch.

We would get coal mine calls that usually were fairly minor. Very early one morning had a call of someone had a "rock fall on his leg". Boss said to just take a BLS unit, since it was only a "leg injury". Guy came off the lift, basically crushed from mid-chest down. He was practically traumatic asphyxiation. All we had were IV, MAST, O2. Luckily the mine EMT's did a good job of packaging (for a change). The guy did make it. I was the one who transferred him to St.Louis later in the day. And occasionally took him there for appointments. Had a very cute daughter that rode with us. He was considered the most injured minor that survived from that mine. Paul and I did get a letter of commendation. It would have been so much easier if the boss would've sent us in a ALS unit. We never did let him forget that screw up. :cussing:

• 2 weeks later...
Have you ever had a call that when you got there you were like, "MAN, how in the world are we going to do this??"

Had an elderly lady fall out of bed. Her left leg was caught in the blankets of the bed, rotating her leg from the hip down more than 180 degrees. Her torso on the floor, leg still wrapped up in the blanket at a very odd angle. Started by giving her 2-4mg MS. Wound up trimming away the blanket without rotating the leg. Placed her almost face down on the board and leg supported in current postition. Took almost an hour to do so. Eventually we got her to the ER and both the ER doc and the Ortho doc were impressed what we did considering the situation.

You could have been helped with 50mg of KETAMINE and 1-2mg Midozolam i.v!

You could have been helped with 50mg of KETAMINE and 1-2mg Midozolam i.v!

For us or the lady?

Just kidding. At that time MS was all that we carried. We did debate about valium but decided not to due to her age and low body weight.

This past summer we had a 3 y/o girl somehow fall down into a street drain while playing. I am still not quite sure how she got in there, and the cover was off when we got there when bystanders had tried to get her out. It was the kind that is up next to the curb and only half covered. (That is some great urban planning by the way!) But what made it especially difficult was that she fell feet first but her right leg was up next to her head and one of her arms was behind her. They say kids bounce, and this one wound up with nothing more than her hip joint being dislocated and a few scrapes from the concrete.

This past summer we had a 3 y/o girl somehow fall down into a street drain while playing. I am still not quite sure how she got in there, and the cover was off when we got there when bystanders had tried to get her out. It was the kind that is up next to the curb and only half covered. (That is some great urban planning by the way!) But what made it especially difficult was that she fell feet first but her right leg was up next to her head and one of her arms was behind her. They say kids bounce, and this one wound up with nothing more than her hip joint being dislocated and a few scrapes from the concrete.

If I remember right, that's the same position "Baby Jessica" in TX was in when she fell down that well shaft.

I know what you mean!!! We responded to a call early one AM to a house for "male bleeding". When we arrived we found this 50"sa aged male lying supine in his bathtub (naked) covered with blood. Blood was EVERYWHERE!!!! In his be ALL the way in the bathroom. Now, this bathroom was SAO small that one person could barely turn around in it. I am thinking, "How in the world are we gonn get this guy out"!!! Well after a second or 2 of thinking (maybe more lolo) we finally decided to lift him out of the tub and we had just enough room to roll his wheelechair up to the tub. All we could do is man handle him out and into the chair backing our way out of the bathroom. He was bleeding from a post opt site. Well we got him transported, with help from our EMR'S. It was one of those that you just stood there with your hands on your hips for a few thinking, OMG!!!!

Had a guy who went climbed up a tree just after having a heavy rain with a chain saw to finish some trimming. (real idiot) He fell head first from about 20 ft. He was literally standing on his head at the base of the tree with his body leaning on the trunk, legs still in the air. It looked just like a Wiley Coyote cartoon when he looked like an accordion. Had to figure away to get him supine on a board while trying to stabilize C-spine and immobilize his entire spine. Actually put the spine board upside down between him and the tree. Strapped him down while still upside down. Hardest immobilization I ever had in 16 yrs. Three C-spine fx. Five T-spine and L-spine fx. Last I knew he was out of the wheel chair and using a walker after about nine months of therapy.

My first thought was "KED him upside down and slide to the board." Maybe, maybe not. Sounds like you did a helluva job though.

This is definitely one situation that crossing the straps over the shoulders would be a MUST for!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.