How In The World...??

firedoc5

Have you ever had a call that when you got there you were like, "MAN, how in the world are we going to do this??"

Had an elderly lady fall out of bed. Her left leg was caught in the blankets of the bed, rotating her leg from the hip down more than 180 degrees. Her torso on the floor, leg still wrapped up in the blanket at a very odd angle. Started by giving her 2-4mg MS. Wound up trimming away the blanket without rotating the leg. Placed her almost face down on the board and leg supported in current postition. Took almost an hour to do so. Eventually we got her to the ER and both the ER doc and the Ortho doc were impressed what we did considering the situation.

Had a guy who went climbed up a tree just after having a heavy rain with a chain saw to finish some trimming. (real idiot) He fell head first from about 20 ft. He was literally standing on his head at the base of the tree with his body leaning on the trunk, legs still in the air. It looked just like a Wiley Coyote cartoon when he looked like an accordion. Had to figure away to get him supine on a board while trying to stabilize C-spine and immobilize his entire spine. Actually put the spine board upside down between him and the tree. Strapped him down while still upside down. Hardest immobilization I ever had in 16 yrs. Three C-spine fx. Five T-spine and L-spine fx. Last I knew he was out of the wheel chair and using a walker after about nine months of therapy.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was one of my reasons for being COMPLETELY against fire having anything to do with medical..

Car hits another car on a major highway. Car goes into a ditch striking a concrete drainage ditch head-on but also causing to car to rest on the lateral drivers side. (Sideways in the ditch basically.) It's a VERY expensive car and the first thing I notice is the gigantic diamond ring on the womens finger that would probably take my lifetime to pay for. So instantly I think "lawyer". She's gonna be suing someone.

The firefighter "EMT" is holding c-spine inside of the car. The rear window was blown out which is how the driver crawled out. HIS idea to extricate the women? I kid you not, this was his reply to me. "I'll hold her head really tight. Then we'll just upright the car and take her out the door."

I swear I'm not making this up. My only reply was "Are you f***ing stupid?"

That's about the time that my partner had to take over for me....

Sad to see that one guy tarnished your reputation with the FD.

Hopefully he was young and dumb and someone taught him the basics of extracation after that?

All of the interesting senarios I have dealt with involve semi's.... On their side, upside down, right side up.

Its alot easier to get someone out of an upside down semi then it is one rightside up!

Sad to see that one guy tarnished your reputation with the FD.

Hopefully he was young and dumb and someone taught him the basics of extracation after that?

All of the interesting senarios I have dealt with involve semi's.... On their side, upside down, right side up.

Its alot easier to get someone out of an upside down semi then it is one rightside up!

No, it wasn't just him. It was most of them. I think I've ran into 2 people that actually had a clue. The rest could care less about EMS so they suck at it. Like bringing the CHF'r out into the cold with no blanket and on a nasal when they're impending failure. Anyway, I didn't want to hijack the thread...... :oops:

wow that second one sounds like a toughy geeze. chain saw + in tree = never good. Hes lucky to have had a super EMS proffesional

Actually I think he slipped while trying to start the chain saw so it wasn't running. We did have a guy that was driving a bull dozer and had a bunch of limbs get caught under it. He took a chain saw and while laying on his tried to clear them out. He hit a piece of metal and the chain saw bounced back and nailed him. He was cut from mid-chest to almost the groin. Got him out and had to carry him in knee deep mud for about 200 yards. Couldn't get a 4x4 or even a tractor in there to haul him out.

Say FD5, I'm still pretty new at this....

But how do you give "2-4mg MS"? :wink: Do you have to use one of those new fangled variable dilivery syringes?

Sorry Doc, I don't have any good "Oh hell!" stories, so I was having a little fun at your expense...

Dwayne

Say FD5, I'm still pretty new at this....

But how do you give "2-4mg MS"? :wink: Do you have to use one of those new fangled variable dilivery syringes?

Sorry Doc, I don't have any good "Oh hell!" stories, so I was having a little fun at your expense...

Dwayne

No problem. Your day will come. :occasion5:

Wound up giving her a total of 10mg. morphine. Didn't really help. It took demerol that we didn't carry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.