Employee screening procedures.

mobey

Just wondering what if any procedures your service has thier to-be employees go through, such as, scenarios, tests, interview (1 on1 or interview commitee) etc...

We have none but I would like to recommend starting to our management.

The service I work for has a 3 step interview process including Paramedic supervisor, EMS coordinator and General Manager. There is a ALS test which is pretty general. There isn't a scenario test per se, one has to past oral boards with the Medical Director before they can function in the County. That consists of skills evaluation, a Scope of practice and an oral interview with the MD. If you can't pass that, you aren't hired simple as that.

There is also a lift test which is 250lbs on a stretcher with another person.

Written Multiple Choice test on basic EMT stuff.

Lengthy mapping exam using Thomas Guide (They give you two addresses and ask for the best route, step by step...tests your communication skills too)

Dummy drag.

Interviewer gives you a scenario with a dummy. Trauma/ALOC/whatever....just to see your basic assessment and asks for details based on what you say, getting a sense of depth of knowledge and ability to recall while nervous.

Then the regular job interview.

AFTER hiring, there's a training day where certain equipment is demo'ed and then they have to use the equipment. Stair chair, gurney lifting, taking VS in a noisy ambulance with radio up and people shaking it, traction splint (with distractions). Basically, to know you can work under stress and you can the everyday functions...some have to come back to retest for gurney lifting (we were getting too many people in the field having trouble with this, usually shorter girls).

What kind of questions are asked on the written??
There are medication dosages, scenario questions with " what would you do first?" answers, patient care questions and several essay questions. The essay question that sticks out was " You have a patient with severe pain from a fractured femur due to a MVC. Extraction time is being prolonged due to wreckage. You contact the hospital and speak with a doctor who gives you orders for 10mg MS04. Due you give the medication and why or why not?"

• 4 months later...

In my local area the preemployment test is to see if youre breathing.

I am aware that Austin-Travis County has an extensive preemployment and predeployment program. The guys at Pridemark in Denver have about a half-day interview process to include 4 separate interviews covering various aspects of the business. You may not know for a few days or more if they are even going to offer you a position.

When I first fell off the EMS turnip truck out of Basic school, I handed in the app and, much to my surprise, the owner of the company came out and gave me a 30-second interview. He said my school had an excellent reputation (it doesn't anymore), and asked when I could come in for training.

For my current job as a supervisor, I had a phone interview with the director, and then later a panel interview with a the director, one of the other supervisors, a student, a nurse, and the medical director. Went about an hour and a half.

If the prospective employee is going to be writing run tickets then a spelling and grammar test is imperitive. If they cannot spell Pneumothorax or hematoma then well you get my drift.

Don't you mean *I M P E R A T I V E*? You flunked your own test!

:lol:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.