Improvised "Weapons" for EMS Defense

The simplest, as I see it, is still the 10 second scene safety check, and constant vigilance while on a scene. It admittedly does not always work, but for the majority of the time, it does.

Failing that, try running shoes!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple scene survey... its your best weapon.

Other day went out on a trucker that was in the cab of his truck, fallen couldn't get up and the doors were locked. He exhibited some siezure like activity and was semi-responsive so we decided to take out a window. Did so and jumped right up in the cab.

Then I though, damn, that was supid, glad he didn't have a shotgun.

EMT Paramedic Fleshlight pr0n

Blah, just carry a pocket knife in the middle of your lower back, so that the clip is hanging on by you're belt and the entire knife is concealed inside of your pants.

People say carrying knives is too dangerous because attackers can use them against you, but if you hide them properly and get a decent knife with a safety on it. You're generally going to be good to go.

Other then that, without the proper training you shouldn't be playing Joe Rambo to begin with.

Perhaps a 3 month introduction to combatives course would be beneficial.

Your best defense is going to be staying in shape and running the hell away, though. If you're un-armed and some one hopped up on drugs gets combatives, odds are you're not going to come out on top without some fighting experience under your belt.

DT4EMS.com has a course on using you trauma shears for self defense. They're good tools, kind of like brass knuckles concept if you hold them right and can also be a stabbing tool.

You can use almost anything, though....a bulky jump bag to put between you and attacker if there's nothing else...push off the jump bag and run. AED can be an impact weapon. The pin on your badge. You're radio. Your pen can be both a stabbing tool and a used to twist fingers. A metal regulator key can be a great impact weapon (face). Obviously the portable O2 tank and clip board (especially with the edges...again to the face). Gurney can be thrown in front of you while retreating.

Pepper spray might be okay, but it's really so unreliable in a lot of situations. If the situation's so dire you can even retreat, then the guy's probably so hyped up it won't affect him. Steel toed boots can also do some damage...

DirtyBlackSocks said

without the proper training you shouldn't be playing Joe Rambo to begin with.

I remember an actor named Dack Rambo. Stallone's character is John Rambo, a retired US Army Green Beret Sargent. Who is Joe Rambo?

DirtyBlackSocks also said

Your best defense is going to be staying in shape and running the hell away, though. If you're un-armed and some one hopped up on drugs gets combatives, odds are you're not going to come out on top without some fighting experience under your belt.

As I said

Running shoes

anyone else think it's a kick in the shorts that this conversations has to even take place. I know that its just stating the obvious, but really, have we become such a horrible society that even those who are put on this earth to help and heal become targets of violent random acts?

That being said, poke him in the eyes, you can't fight if you can't see. On the non violent route, I wonder what the consiquences would be if we gave in and gave them our narcotics. Or even better, tell them that the sodium bicarb is the best sh**t we've got.

DirtyBlackSocks said

I remember an actor named Dack Rambo. Stallone's character is John Rambo, a retired US Army Green Beret Sargent. Who is Joe Rambo?

DirtyBlackSocks also said

As I said

Joe Rambo's a joke term the military uses.

For example, if some one were to ask:

"Who would win in a fight consisting of 1 Navy Seal against a Platoon of Marines?"

The answer is Joe Rambo.

When people ask ridiculous questions, the all around American Hero Joe Rambo will always prevail.

In terms of society being set back, you're nuts. This day and age is the first where we've actually had a steady flow of medical personell in this sense. Society is so far evolved from what it used to be, especially since electricity came around, that it's just wishful thinking to say "Is this what we've come to?". It implies that we used to be better then we are.

Targetting violent offenders is an entirely new debate, which goes more towards the way that we just throw people in prison, rather then providing the psychiatric support they likely need.

We don't live in a society that tries to reform it's criminals, we simply throw them off to the side and discard them. How would that make you feel?

Everyone reacts differently to adrenaline, people with drug addictions can be going through completely uncontrollable thought patterns - especially on drugs like crystal meth where they become sleep deprived or PCP.

The key to avoiding confrontation is having absolute empathy. Don't ignore some one on a scene because you think they're a degenerate ect.

This gets my vote for one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen to date.

But not to be left out of the fracas, I’ll add my cent and a half…

In a pinch watch MacGyver then try the improbable.

Someone said it’s like trying to run faster than a bullet, instead of wearing a vest, I agree.

Another suggested putting a concealed knife down the crack of your ass (OK this wins for the dumbest) why bring a knife to a gun fight? Not to mention what it would do to your pants when you bent over…

And other answers from getting in and staying in shape (a good idea anyway) to getting a good pair of running shoes not practical as you should be in toe protective work boots.

Finally the last (so far) stated your body is the best protection, I guess that applies if your superman.

The best responses have intoned scene safety and the ten second survey…

Truly the BEST protection you carry is your Brain, try using it BEFORE you put yourself in a dangerous situation.

Remember: FOOLS RUSH IN…

-w

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.