Bigger and Faster.

Our service is getting new ambulances that are faster and bigger. They provide more comfort to the crew and can get up and go. They are twin turbo diesels and let me tell you they get up and move. It has a computer system in it for our dispatch and the back well i can finally stand up straight. It is quite exciting to actually show up on scene in something that you don't have to worry if it will still be running when you come back out.

Faster is not a good thing. Slow down for your safety and everyone elses safety.

Thanks for the reminder: With some of the 4WD stuff, ambulance or POV, remember that it can get you going, but won't stop you on ice, or other slippery stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Faster is not a good thing. Slow down for your safety and everyone elses safety.

This was debated in full detail in our system. Yes, there has been cases regarding an interstate transfer where they stressed time was of the essence. This was back when an available helo. was not an option. I myself have had a doc ask how fast I could get from point A to point B, and to keep the accelerator down. I was with a private amb. serv. at the time, and it was the only service in the county. We called them "kamikaze runs". Yes, we drove fast, at times probably too fast. There were just a select few of us that were assigned to those types of transfers. And even fewer of us that would be requested by either docs or nurses to be the driver. I look back now and think of what we risked and I think how ridiculous it was. Being young and stupid I guess. But one thing we did take into consideration was knowing our limitations and respecting them. We would use common sense and not drive to where we were uneasy feeling. But I'll be the first to admit that at times it was too fast and wouldn't dare do it again.

One night we had a call of a school bus off into a large lake just off the interstate. It was during basketball season so it was possible. There were several of us playing cards so we were able to get five units out in 90 seconds. Luckily it was a hoax call, but we didn't know that until we searched for about 45 mins. While heading out the gal with me kept urging me to go faster. I told her I had the pedal down and my foot in the carburetor. I could actually feel the front start floating so I backed it down. Later on a state trooper asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I said I didn't because the speedometer only went to 85. He said he clocked me at 133. That was a wake up call for me. And Mary, the gal that was with me and kept urging me to go faster, was freaked. Like I said, young and stupid. :tongue3:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long, here's some info and pictures.

2008 Ford Super Duty Type I

For EMSA personnel, differences from the other trucks we've found.

Pros:

• Twin Turbo

[*]VERY quite, sounds like an unleaded engine

[*]Smooth ride

[*]Air-ride goes up when truck is put into drive, even if rear doors open

[*]New truck smell

[*]Slightly different flash pattern on emergency lights

[*]Monitor on the front console - Can check O2 level in tank, adjust temp/fan in box from front, check outside and box temp, time/date, time since power on

[*]New radios - can change background color

[*]Radio speaker in box is always on and the volume knob on rear radio will control volume, even when on remote

[*]Front seats confortable

[*]Trucks factory equipped - Miles to empty fuel, miles per gallon display (average 6.5mpg!)

[*]Two 12VDC outlets on console in addition to factory one

Cons:

• No armrest on front seats

[*]Rear jump seats have to be removed to put larger patients on spine board on bench

[*]MedUSA dock is mounted backwards (for now). Can't reach it from box

[*]No partitioned cup holder area, just all open

[*]No cubby hole to put gloves in

[*]Very little leg room compared to older trucks

[*]Can't fit large books in doors

[*]No LED dome lights in box, still those crappy halogens

[*]Still no air horns

emsa08superduty.jpg

emsa08superduty_1.jpg

emsa08superduty_2.jpg

emsa08superduty_3.jpg

emsa08superduty_4.jpg

emsa08superduty_5.jpg

emsa08superduty_6.jpg

Y'all have speedload as well I see........ (sealed supply bins, you re-stock at a depot) cuts down the time for check and questions that could be raised.

Y'all have speedload as well I see........ (sealed supply bins, you re-stock at a depot) cuts down the time for check and questions that could be raised.

Assuming, of course, that the resupply isn't done half ass. I stopped trusting the tags when I was constantly missing supplies [open OB kit, empty spare O2 tanks, missing BVMs, or my favorite, adult BVM with a pediatric mask]. After seemingly missing something every check out I just took off all of the seals. Management played the "well, you're the only one that complains [i was one of the few people actually checking], so there's nothing wrong" game.

We've never had any problems (haven't heard of any as of yet nor experienced any) with supply bins missing or wrong items. They utilize off-duty or light duty personnel to stock the bins. The bins are air sealed with plasitc. When we use a certain item the plastic is removed and then prior to shift ending all the open bins are required to be re-stocked by the on-duty crew. We've got 7 depots throughout the county that carry all of our necessary supplies.

*not saying there are lazy crews who refuse to re-stock the bin even if they only used a few itmes out of the bin. Then we have to count the entire damn tray. Or even better, they open the bin with a small hole, then turn the hole around to the back so it looks sealed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.