New IV catheters

Our service recently switched to new IV catheters that are more in depth than just your typical IV catheter. I cannot stand these new catheters. They are a single lumen double port. The only benefit that I can find on these new catheters is that you don't have to worry about blood because of the lumen and ports being attached. However threading is next to impossible. They are so flimsy that when you try and thread them they seem to bend or not go at all and I end up going right through the vein. My IV success rate has dropped and for what. The company is saving 20 cents but patients are having to be stuck more. Now tell me is that patient care. No its not because its all about money today.

Ok, in the interest of turning this into an actual productive discussion, instead of just a rant that gets you chatroom privileges, but no replies, can you tell us the name of this product, and possibly give us some pictures or a link to where we can see it?

Maybe if someone sees OP in chat they can ask them to return and address the topics they started. My new service had some crappy ones I'll try and post them next time I'm on duty and see if anybody else has had trouble with them.

http://www.cardinal.com/mps/catalog/ASP/38...p?cat=Physician

I think this is the one she is referring to Its the new BD bloodless system. If not the exact one it will give you a general image of the ones she is talking about. The hospitals are all going to them here.

terr

I really like seing this type of thread as it allows comparison with what you guys use on the other side of the pond! Over here in the UK, we are very safety oriented....both in hospital and pre-hospital. We go to great lengths to stop the usage of needles so far as practically possible. We use pre-filled syringes and minijets most of the time (which not only increases safety, but speed to administer as well) but in the instances where we have to draw up drugs using a needle, it is discarded the minute they are drawn up as we can administer straight into the catheter through injection ports. I have grabbed a few pics of our system. We use Braun Vasofix safety cannulae. Click to enlarge!

vasofixalh4.th.jpg 14G for ease of photographing.

vasofixbap8.th.jpg On withdrawing the steel, you can see in the circled area within the orange plastic, a safety device that slides down to cover the sharp point. It makes it a little more difficult to withdraw the steel.

vasofixcez6.th.jpg The top half stays within the patient <duh>. As you can see, the sharp is now covered and is reasonably safe.

vasofixdwx1.th.jpg As close as I can get with my cheap cam showing the safety device.

vasofixegx4.th.jpg Now with the leur lock fitted. Fluids are administered through the port that the white cap is now covering.

vasofixfhj3.th.jpg Top cap lifts to reveal an injection port for attaching a syringe/ minijet directly without needing a needle. It contains a one-way valve so cap can be left open with no risk of blood escaping.

Thanks itku2er and otherphil. I like the looks of the one otherphil posted. The ones we have have the lock but not the port. But ours have led to several attempts for each patient by everyone. You almost want to get up and dance when we get a successful stick. Thankfully we are switching over to another style and finding out we all did not just forget how to start IV's. I'll try and post the brand of the bad ones when on duty Tues or Wed. I'll also go into more detail of what goes wrong to see if anyone else has ran into this problem.

We use the same as akroeze is currently using. I like them as the chance of a needle stick is greatly reduced in the back of a moving ambulance, or anytime for that matter. Just stick, press the button and the needle retracts, put on the lock and flush.

http://www.bd.com/infusion/products/iag.asp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.