King LTS-D

My service recently just added these to our protocols (Sizes 3-5). The University of Iowa did a research project on the effectiveness of the King LTS-D Airways and showed a 100% success rate on first attempt. So the State of Iowa now allows all levels from First Responder and up to use these. I personally found the King LTS-D to be an excellent alternative to ET intubation and combi-tubes. Iowa also currently allows all levels from FR and up to use the combi-tube which is not as successful. I personally believe that the King LTS-D will be the new Gold Standard for BLS airways.

If you are looking to use these or are currently using these I recommend the King LTS-D because 1) Suction Channel, 2) Distal Cuff was redesigned to have a better seal.

I've used 2 in the past two shifts. (Both cardiac arrests)

Loop,Swoop, inflate.... 15 seconds are your done. No manipulating no nothing.

That combined with the new Rescue Pod are now in our cardiac arrest protocols.

The coolest is the suction port. So if any air does get in the stomach you can pump it out with a NG tube, very nicely placed.

I personally believe that the King LTS-D will be the new Gold Standard for BLS airways.

But only for Rural EMS?

Why should there be a different "gold standard" for rural EMS from the rest of the country?

And the King LT-D requires a physician's order, therefore it is ADVANCED Life Support, regardless of who is performing it.

Loop,Swoop, inflate.... 15 seconds are your done. No manipulating no nothing.

fifteen seconds they should be intubated with an ET tube..almost the same lift,swoop,inflate..

but yeah, they are a very nice peice of ALS backup equipment. :D

The "gold standard" for bls should still be OPA and BVM... :evil:

I do not know where ccmedoc intubates his patients in 15 seconds.

A recent study completed by the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics found that the AVERGAE time for a Paramedic to intubate a patient in the pre-hospital setting was 70.0 seconds with a success rate of 68.9% on first attempt. Compared to the average time for the King LTS-D was 22.7 seconds with a success rate of 100%. I do agree that the ET Tube is the Gold Standard for ALS, however, it is not available to BLS.

As you can see that the King LTS-D airway is very effective in the pre-hospital setting to manage people without a patent airway.

This study was done with 69 working EMS Providers (45 Paramedics and 24 EMT-Basics). It was conducted in the back of an ambulance using the standard airway mannequin. Providers had no previous training on the King LTS-D airway. ETT and Combi-Tube evalulated first. Allowed 30 seconds to read the King LTS-D instruction card before attempting. Time elements measured time to placement and first ventilation.

A recent study completed by the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics found that the AVERAGE time for a Paramedic to intubate a patient in the pre-hospital setting was 70.0 seconds with a success rate of 68.9% on first attempt. Compared to the average time for the King LTS-D was 22.7 seconds with a success rate of 100%. I do agree that the ET Tube is the Gold Standard for ALS, however, it is not available to BLS.

Surely you jest. 70 seconds for an intubation?

I was being somewhat facetious..sounds like I hit a nerve.. :D

I don't think 15-30 seconds to intubate is unreasonable though..By then the medic should know if they need to back out and use this airway or not..

70 seconds needs to be remediated, I would think. :?: :shock:

70.0 seconds does seem like a long time to intubate, however in Iowa state wide paramedic get anywhere from 0.4 (rural) to 5.3 (urban) intubations per year. Paramedics are rarely allowed in the OR or ETI to maintain their skills. And when the paramedics need to intubate a person they are dealing with less than preferred conditions. I understand some Paramedics may intubate a patient a lot faster than others and this is due to the fact that they intubate a lot more people per year. Most services in Iowa do not even run 3,000 calls a year because we are a rural state.

Also these times are only from the SUCCESSFUL intubations.

Here are the Paramedic Stats:

Combi-tube - 37/45 (82.2%)

ETT - 31/45 (68.9)

KingLT - 45/45 (100%)

Here are the EMT-Basic Stats:

Combi-tube - 21/24 (87.5%)

KingLT - 24/24 (100%)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.