Riders on your rig

I'm in paramedic school right now, and it seems that most of my preceptors that I do ride outs with don't want me there. Now some have asked me to come back anytime to ride. Others act like i don't exist or they make it clear they don't like that I'm there. Some see me as the kiss of death. The few I've had the didn't care if i was there didn't want to teach me anything or let me do anything. I've made every attempt to ride with the preceptors that have invited me back or at least taught me something.

So heres what I want to know. How many of you paramedics that precept students actually like precepting. If you dent tell me why? Your not going to hurt my feeling I want honest answers. I want to know how ya'll feel about student riders.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Redneck,

This is an interesting post as it covers a topic that affects students on a regular basis. The are no simple answers, but I'll try and give you an outline as to why this is the case. Am I qualified to speak? Well, I think so - I have more than 10 years of experience in mentoring new colleagues. I have always enjoyed doing so, but that doesn't apply to everyone. Here goes:

1) Your preceptor may have personal issues that make it hard for him/her to come to work, much less have a student asking questions all day.

2) Some people like the routine of their partner and frown upon a third person that interferes with the group dynamics. An "outsider" if you like.

3) Your preceptor may have had bad experiences in the past which makes him/her sceptical of students. You can only try your best in these situations

4) How is your attitude to your preceptor? (Not suggesting anything here, just food for thought).

5) Your preceptor isn't keen on having someone scrutinize his work (which makes them unsuitable for preceptorship, but it happens).

6) There can be tendency to think: "Why should I invest time and energy in this kid?. He'll be gone in a few weeks/months". Again, inexcuseable; but it happens.

7) And finally, this is after you've ruled out all other causes: THEY ARE JUST PLAIN LAZY.

The only thing you can do in these situations is to sit down with your preceptor at the beginning of the shift and map out what the expectations are of both parties. You need to talk about these issues in order to resolve them. I guess this is also a learning process, you need to acquire a healthy form of assertivity - something which you will also need in your practice when you qualify and are the senior provider on scene.

Hope this helps and good luck,

WM

Welsh has some very good points.

I like to add many are told to be preceptors, not asked. Yes, after pulling many hours straight many of us that even like to precept can get tired of a "third wheel".

I have to admit clinicals are tough. It is hard to "fit in", ask enough questions and not too much, talk .. not talk, etc. Be sure to ask to participate on non-EMS activities as well, such as cleaning the unit, emptying trash, etc.

Be sure to understand and know your objectives. Meet and discuss with your preceptor on how you would like to accomplish them, ask for any advice and their wisdom. Everyone like to be honored for their experience and knowledge. Attempt to discuss and review calls afterwards.

If they appear to not really want students, then be blunt with them. It appears that you rather not have me or precept for students, do I need to contact my school? Sometimes, this will awake them, and as well if true, maybe a clinical with another person should be made or re-scheduled at another date.

Good luck!

R/r 911

Some people are not cut out to be preceptors but they are forced to be preceptors none the less.

I for one when I first started out on a small ambulance service, we had students. I was part of the primary crew, and I was so new as a medic that I was just getting my bearings.

I was then told that we were gonna have students ride along. most were emt students but we had a smattering of medic students also.

I was not prepared to precept and I made that clear to the boss yet I was still precepting.

Fast forward 5 years at AMR and I had a student every shift for more than a year. No down time, no time in between to regroup. Some were good, some were bad, some were very very good and others I kicked off the truck. I got burned out on students and the last couple students it showed in my attitude.

Fast forward another 5 years and the service I worked for I had students about every 5th shift which was perfect.

I am all for students but some services just wear out their preceptors. When you have 40 students in a paramedic class and all of those students are trying to get ride time in your service and you only have 2 crews on per shift, it get's to the point where your preceptors are getting burned out.

My advice is to go back and ride with those who invited you back. Keep away from the ones who made it clear they didn't want you and you will do fine.

My advice is to go back and ride with those who invited you back. Keep away from the ones who made it clear they didn't want you and you will do fine.
This is great advice. When I was precepting, I had the good fortune of working at the same place I was precepting. Ergo, I had an easier time of it than some of my classmates. What you describe I heard from others. Some rode with the service I work for and I could see that some of the medics just didn't want to precept or were tired of doing it.

If, as Ruffems suggested, there was a break for the preceptors in between students, I'm certain they would be more willing to help you.

Choose to follow some of the advice offered to you here by some very knowledgeable and experienced people above my post. Don't give up. If I could do it, you can too.

Good Luck!

I found it really funny though that the service that runs with my fire department that I know everyone on was the worst about wanting/teaching riders.
This, in all honesty, shouldn't really surprise you. :o

What I've come to believe, having preceptored with two different services...

If you find that you're a burden where you're at? Do whatever is necessary to ride with a different service.

My first phase was a complete waste of time from a precepting point of view. I saw a lot of patients, but most everything I learned I learned on my own. In the service I'm riding with now, finishing my second phase this week, the attitude is completely different.

In the service I'm with now, the preceptors choose to do so. I've bounced around a little because I started second phase near their normal shift bid, but each person I've precepted with has had the same goal. To push me until I begin to make mistakes, then celebrate my victories while identify those mistakes, teach me what I need to know to improve and/or give me homework relative to my weaknesses, and then push me some more. I'm expected to challenge their every decision, as they challenge mine (all in kindness and the spirit of learning).

In the last month I've gained so much knowledge, and perhaps just as important, so much confidence! Each shift is as valuable as my best week of medic school...and I don't say that lightly.

This preceptorship is too important to try to "survive" it. I wasted my first phase...and can never get it back. Make sure you milk this time for all it's worth. If you can't do that where you're at, demand that they put you someplace that you can.

Your ambulance clinicals are not a gift. You've paid for them, you've earned them, demand that they are worth your investment of time.

P.s. If it turns out that you do in fact just have a hinky attitude (Which I've not seen signs of here) then please ignore all I've said above...

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.