Medics Ambulance Company. . . .

BeccaKW

What are you, slow or something?

Answer the question: if you were no longer allowed to be a firefighter, would you still be happy to be just EMS? If so, then my generalisation -- which I admitted it was -- does not apply to you. In that case, don't pick a fight for fight's sake. It's just silly.

And FD EMS isn't change. It is the status quo. But, if you went to a two year <http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> programme, then you probably haven't been around long enough to realise that, so I'll let it go.

Yes I'm the slow one. Good job. At least I can spell :-).

To answer your question: Yes

You're right, only 8 years. So an "old school" two month paramedic is better educated than someone with 2 years? I respect your "years" of dedicated duty, but you seem to make it a priority to bash anyone with new ideas or that hasn't been a medic 20 years. No?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very near and dear friend of mine is a flightmedic- a damn good clinician as well- knows his stuff inside and out. He also works a ground unit as a medic part time. His bread a butter are his medic jobs. His passion? For the past 16 years he has served on the Rural fire department in his local town, as a Battalion Chief he responds to fire calls on his off days. His fire and medic positions are separated one from the other. That is the key thing. He does not worry about fire when he is flying or on the ground truck but I promise you as a Firefighter he would be the first to start rendering Pt care should he be on the scene of a fire and someone be hurt.

That would be the Firemedic that is not a scab. If you can provide care on that kind of level and keep it separated then you have your priorit straight. Note that the medic side comes first and foremost here as well. Maybe you should seriously think about your position. Quality pt care comes when you put the patient care part first and foremost. Not second best. If firefighting is your love in life then go fight fires. If being a <http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> is your love in life then great! Volunteer for fire in your down time...........but focus on that patient care or you are no good to any one as a medic.

Well I guess where you are from that is an option. Not here in the metro Atlanta area. You are either a firefighter/paramedic or you don't have a job.

But the patient care scenario is easy to answer. When I am on a medical call the patient is my ONLY priority, with the exception of crew safety. When I'm on a fire call I engage in firefighting only after evacuating and/or treating any patient found. Patient care is still my #1 priority, on a fire scene, car accident, haz-mat, whatever, it's in our SOP's for medic's. All of the other functions (firefighting, extrication, etc.) are handled by FF/EMT's.

I find no reason to go "search out" an only EMS organization in my area. If I thought my dept. had poor patient care standards I would leave in a heartbeat.

Yes I'm the slow one. Good job. At least I can spell :-).

Interesting. That is not what your previous posts tell us. I am not the one you want to get into a spelling war with here, Mr. "I don't know the difference between accept and except."

To answer your question: Yes

Well then, none of what I said applied to you. I made that clear from the beginning, but yes, if it took you this long to realise it, you are slow.

You're right, only 8 years. So an "old school" two month Paramedic is better educated than someone with 2 years?

If that is what you took from my statement, then seriously dude, back to grammar school with you. That is not even close to what I said. My point was that two year schools have not been around long enough for any of their initial graduates to have been in EMS very long. So far, the only thing you seem to be right about is 2 years being better than 8 months. I am glad that your math is better than your grammar.

And all the medics at Grady would sure be surprised to find out that they can't get a job without being a firemonkey. News to them, I'm sure. If you don't even know what EMS is like in your own community, I have little faith you are qualified to discuss EMS nationwide.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.