Medics Ambulance Company. . . .

BeccaKW

I just put my app in with Medics and went for an interview. They sent me to do a drug test and said there will be a orientation on the 30th. I dont know much about what they are doing right now but it is just a job until I can get my fire certs and get a Fire/Rescue job.

Good idea.

If not you'll turn into an burnt-out old sour man. Don't see many of those around here though

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DustDevil dont get me wrong I have wanted to be a firefighter or cop since I was a little kid. You do understand that fire/rescue down hear is like 90% EMS calls. I dont dislike EMS but at the same time I also want that extra rush of going to a fire. My post was not meant to hurt your fellings.

So go kayaking for the 'rush' and leave the medical stuff to the professionals. People shouldn't have to suffer so you can have the occasional Mountain Dew moment here and there.

How did a thread about Medics Ambo Company turn into a fire vs ems thread? How does patient care suffer by have a fire based EMS system? There are a lot of people here that are constantly bashing people who want to be firefighters like they are going out and killing people. We are all on the same side right?

To answer your questions:

1. It always turns into a Fire vs. EMS thread. Its eerie but it happens.

2. By diverting needed resources from Emergency Medical procedures to firefighting needs, which in the modern age become less and less of a necessity, in addition to providing paramedics who don't want to EMS but are just looking to do whatever until the fire breaks out for the rush and stuff.

How does patient care suffer by have a fire based EMS system?

Until you are able to truly understand the answer to that question, without somebody having to explain it to you, you are not yet ready to leave the temple, Grasshopper.

So fire based paramedic's aren't professionals?

Correct. They are part-timers. Professionalism means a commitment to the profession. Their only commitment is to doing whatever they have to do to keep their fire job.

Show me a fire medic who would quit the FD if they lost EMS, and I'll show you a professional. The rest are just scabs.

There are a lot of people here that are constantly bashing people who want to be firefighters like they are going out and killing people. We are all on the same side right?

Nope we are not bashing FF. I think FF definatly have a place in public safety, and when taken seriously are proffessionals on thier own.

The problem is that nowadays we don't need alot of full time Fire Depts. Therefor, the cities of towns that emloy these guys give them rubber gloves and tell them they are "Firemedics". Either they run EMS or they lose thier full time job.

Now how do you think that affects the community? and how does that affect EMS as a proffesion?.

I consider myself a proffesional EMS provider, I am not a FF. And out of respect for FF, if my employer told me to run with Fire or lose my job, I would quit!! I am not going to work everyday with proffesional FF's who are passionate about thier career and proffesion because i am forced to or because it will fill the time till I can find something better!

Now remember your talking to proffesional EMS providers....Can you change out the words EMS for FireFighter in the previous paragraph?

Do you see why you feel you are getting bashed now?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.