Spouse not interested in EMS?

I got this idea from here...A different thread

But it got me to thinking.

Barb (my wife) couldn't care less about anything EMS. She's not curious about gross calls..has no interest in why you can die without enough glucose, doesn't find projectile vomiting stories amusing.

(For example we used to have conversations such as...

Me "So can you see, because these molecules/atoms do "this", through a whole cascade of interactions you end up...say...Blinking!?!

Barb,"So, what happens if they stop doing that?"

Me, "Well, they don't really stop doing that...."

Barb, "So I'm in no danger of suddenly not being able to blink?"

Me, "Ummm...No...not that I can see."

Barb, "Well, OK, then. What time do you leave for school?"

Me, "But...there's all these molecules....And they're really tiny!....Oh...never mind.")

I got to wondering how many think this is a good thing?

I mean, she designs web pages on a small scale when not caring for my son and I, or our house and all that that entails, and I couldn't care less about HTTP// something/PHP/something.../something else.whatever....I don't get it...I don't want to get it...I don't plan on ever getting it. As long as she can keep my computer running...life is good.

Understand, I'm not looking for marriage advice. We've been crazy in love for 22 years and have always been very different people. I'm personally pretty happy that she wants to talk about something besides medicine when I get home.

It seems there are a million threads here at the City that say something like "It helps if your mate is in EMS so that they can understand what you have to go through." I was just curious about the experiences of those that have spouses that don't understand, and have no desire to understand.

Does that bother you? Would you change it? Why?

Dwayne

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a spouse in EMS is nice because they can relate to the odd hours.

Having a supportive mate who doesn't particularly take an interest in what you do, but still supports you in what you do is just as good.

As an EMS professional who chooses this profession, if you want a relationship to work with some one who is having trouble understanding the EMS life style. It is on your shoulders to make them understand, or the relationship will fail.

If they're not interested in your scope of practice, just don't bring it up to them unless it's something like a call that really shook you up.

My missus works in the OR at the hospital we take our patients too. We very rarely discuss work at home.

There have been occasions when I might query about a patient we brought in and if she got them in the OR. Then we might discuss it somewhat. Other than that, work is work, home is home. Two completely different things and we like it that way. Besides, she works nights and I work days or 24's. We have a lot to catch up on when we meet up. :wink:

Irregardless ( sorry Dwayne, I had to work it in somehow ), She really couldn't care less about EMS. My offers for her to come for a ride-along have been repeatedly declined with thanks.

My husband supports that I want to do something that I want to do, but hates that I choose to do EMS. He is freaking about the hours, and always knocks the "pay". He cant understand why I would want a job where I could possibly work 60 hours in a week, and make 1/3rd of what he makes.. Oh, and don't even mention anything 'gross or bloody'

:D:D:D Sometimes I wish he was more into it. But most of the time I accept hes not.

Even if they don't understand why you like what you do..so long as they understand (and support) you it's all good IMHO.

I've known my wife for almost 20 years.

The day I got my first crotch-rocket sport bike she looked it over, climbed up onto the passenger seat for a moment, got back off and said "Nope. Not for me. Have fun and don't kill yourself".

She said much the same thing when I got into EMS. :D

-Trevor

We are both in medicine, but it's extremely rare that we ever discuss medicine from work. We talk a lot about work in general and medicine in general. And we talk a lot about medical discussions from here at EMT City. But generally, work business stays at work, which I think is a good thing in my case. I'm glad she doesn't ask questions.

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend comes from a family thats very involved in the fire department, somehow though, she never caught that bug. She hates my hours and gets pissy when my pager goes off. I've just learned not to talk about work around her, or anything that has to do with medicine. lol. We've been together for 2 crazy years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.