Uncertified people on the ambulance.

emedic6

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We pretty regularly have "observers" ride with us.

Our observers are either student nurses, or students with intrest in the medical field. Sometimes we have local goverment officials.

Other than that, why would there be un-certified people on the ambulance?

On the up side, we have out own EMT and Paramedic classes, with over 50 students enrolled. There won't be any room for student nurses.

Except for the patient, of course, we have a long list of things that one must accomplish before riding on any apparatus (EMS and Fire). That includes juniors, explorers, ride along, etc.. If they don't have this list of courses, they cannot respond to any of our calls, be around patients, or be on any scene. That is our SOG for qualification to respond. It's up to the individual service what they want you to have before you can respond and assist. EMS may require FR and EVO; or EMT; Fire may requires Fundamentals, Essentials, Pump Ops; the truck Co. requires Essentials and Truck Ops as the minimum before you can board the apparatus. No reason to have people on scene to free lance, if you want to observe, with out training.. Take a spot on the sidewalk, behind the tape.

HIPAA - 6hr

CPR - 2hr

Pathogens - 3hr

IST - 16hr

Hazmat Awareness - 8hr

MANY years ago, it wasn't unheard of to have one EMT and one non-certified driver. I know a lot of privates worked around that to keep over-head down. We had one "boss" that would send two people out if it seemed like it was a routine or crock call, but if it turned out to be an actual emergency they would radio in and send out the second certified person and meet them either at the scene or up the road from the hospital so it would look like there had been two certs. on board. It's amazing how things use to be ran and thank God it has changed.

I've dealt with this too, the girl that I had the problem with was, 14 and wouldn't let anyone else run ems calls as what we call here attendants, and in my opnion she would just get in the way and annoy most EMT's and Paramedics. I think that you should have some type of certification. I know that I wouldn't want just anyone working on me, especially if they had no certification.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.