EMS safety

BushyFromOz

Found this website today. I highly recommend that people spend some time cruising around this website. It looks and OH&S safety for ambulance personnel. Included is a collection of crash test videos of inside and outside of a typical ambulance

http://www.paramedicsafety.org/

Really is worth a look

Bushy

Great site, thanks for costing me my job. I will never be able to get into the box again. :cry:

Actually videos should serve as a wakeup call to just how unsafe we are in the ambulance. Maybe those that think it's great to run L&S and blow intersections will start slowing down and paying attention.

Thanks for great site. Maybe admin could get OK to pemanent link.

Great site, thanks for costing me my job. I will never be able to get into the box again. :cry:

You think thats bad.....

After a night on the turps and some very deep conversations with a couple of mates, the enormity of the role i am about to get into hit home at about 2am. Already questioning weather i will have what it takes, i then went and found this website - i might not even climb into the box to begin with :shock:

No, on second thoughts, i will... nothing ventured nothing learned :D

If this makes you have second or third thoughts every time you get into the ambulance, that is a positive thing. I know I still have those thoughts, 17 years after the accident that almost killed me. It took me a few years to get back in there, and you can bet that ever since then, I remain constantly aware of exactly where I am in the box, where all my equipment is, and whether or not that is a safe position in case of crash. Unless I absolutely have to be elsewhere for patient care, you will rarely find me anywhere besides the captain's chair.

Yo no soy marinero.

Soy capitain. :cry:

I have often wondered about how the stretcher mechanism would hold up in the event of an accident.....now I know!

Has anyone had experience with a milder crash than these? Just wondering how much force it takes for the stretcher to become dislodged from it's brackets.

just out of curiosity, are there regs on G-force limits of stretcher licks, equipment mounts, chassis mounts and roll bars in the US?

There are no regulations for the patient compartment whatsoever.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) views it as a transport issue, and therefore it falls under the D.O.T.'s perview. D.O.T. only regulates up to two feet behind the driver's seat, so nothing is mandated.

The amazing thing is that it takes a fairly minor overall incident to to significant structural damage to the interior of the patient compartment. Crashes at <40 mph have had the module torn clear of the frame.

There are no regulations for the patient compartment whatsoever.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) views it as a transport issue, and therefore it falls under the D.O.T.'s perview. D.O.T. only regulates up to two feet behind the driver's seat, so nothing is mandated.

The amazing thing is that it takes a fairly minor overall incident to to significant structural damage to the interior of the patient compartment. Crashes at <40 mph have had the module torn clear of the frame.

:shock:

I know here, somewhere, it is written that the stretcher mounts, equipment stowage points and harnesses must be able to withstand a 20G forward movement and a 10G sideway / rearwards movement. Ambulances also have to have some form of rollover protection system built into them. Actually finding this is proveing to be difficult. I suspoct it is an australian standard for manufacturing ambulances as opposed to a legislative requirement

I was shocked to see the stretcher break away from the floor in one of the videos that was supposedly a 50km/hr imact

Yo no soy marinero.

Soy capitain. :D

Soy almirante. Now get to work sailor. :lol:

I have not been in wreck but have been thrown arond with sudden braking, etc. Dislocated shoulder. This is why I want ambulances with crawl thru so I can knock the crap out the driver every time they do something stupid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.