Military ribbons with on-duty uniform

NBPCP

Does anyone have medics in their service who wear ribbons with their work uniform, ex. ex military ribbons, St. John ribbons or GG decorations. Is this a customary pratice? Of course in formal situations like funerals, but while on duty? Ive seen a few Municipal Police Officers wearing ribbons while on duty.

Does anyone have medics in their service who wear ribbons with their work uniform, ex. ex military ribbons, St. John ribbons or GG decorations. Is this a customary pratice? Of course in formal situations like funerals, but while on duty? Ive seen a few Municipal Police Officers wearing ribbons while on duty.

Never seen it.

Wouldn't have a problem with it if they get it in the line of duty that they are currently participating in. Sorta like getting those save pins and baby delivery pins

Some civilian organizations (law enforcement in particular) will permit the wearing of earned military skill badges such as jump wings, EOD badges, CMBs, etc. This tends to be more common on dress uniforms. Ribbons? No.

Some police departments have adopted ribbons for particular achievements, and it's easy to use those already manufactured by and available through the military. Because of the confusion that sometimes ensues, there are now cop ribbons specifically designed and manufactured for police to wear on their uniforms.

I think it's somewhat questionable to wear a SF tab or Ranger tab on a civilian work uniform, as well as most military decorations.

This does not equate to a miniaturized enamel pin that indicates affiliation with a particular military unit, such as a division patch, small SF tab, or something else. I think that's fine.

For formal dress (black tie), many retired vets will wear a miniaturized set of decorations on their lapel. That's fine if small and tasteful.

'zilla

Pre-merger into the FDNY, NYC EMS used to display their badges on the outermost garment, per the regs. If earned, an enamel pin, which we called a "ribbon", was worn over the badge, and the name tag below.

I had a New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation Vice President's Unit Citation, and another one for, while off duty, holding the hands, in essence, of 2 old women in a spun out car from a hit and run with no real injuries (they wrote a nice letter), and under FDNY, I have a "Lifesaver" pin for a pre-hospital save, and a service "Campaign Ribbon" for just being in the department on September 11, 2001 (no stars, if 1 star, means worked the Trade Center for the first 72 hours after the collapses, if 2, were there from the time the first plane hit to the second collapse).

Nowadays, the pre-hospital save and campaign ribbon are only allowed on the special occasion "Class 'A' Dress Blues" uniform. Badge is only for ID, not used on any FDNY uniforms, and let's not hijack this string for badge/no badge discussions already in progress elsewhere on the EMT City site.

Also, I was one of many wearing commemorative ribbons for NYPD and an EMS Officers killed in the Line Of Duty, which the FDNY stopped us from doing.

PS: I have seen some members of the FDNY, Fire Fighters, Fire Marshals, EMTs and Paramedics, who wear some small pins or service ribbons from the military on their class "A's". Most of them are also reservists who have been to either Iraq or Afghanistan, and some have been there several times.

PPS: Many members wear commemorative T-shirts for an FDNY Lieutenant/Reservist Army Sargent who was killed in action in Iraq.

Back around 1987, there was a Vietnam Veterans parade and gathering in Houston, with quite a huge turnout. The Travelling Wall (half scale Vietnam Memorial Wall replica) was there, and was a gathering point for everybody. Quite a few Houston Police officers were there working, and I noticed that many of them were wearing military ribbons on their police uniform. I talked to one of them, and he said the department had encouraged them to wear them for the event. I thought that was pretty cool, and I like the idea of ceremonially doing so.

But no, I've never seen or heard of any agency authorising military awards (aside from those badges that Doczilla mentions) for daily wear. It sounds silly to me. I wouldn't do it, if for no other reason than a desire to avoid sharp objects on my shirt.

• 2 weeks later...
Pre-merger into the FDNY, NYC EMS used to display their badges on the outermost garment, per the regs. If earned, an enamel pin, which we called a "ribbon", was worn over the badge, and the name tag below.

I had a New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation Vice President's Unit Citation, and another one for, while off duty, holding the hands, in essence, of 2 old women in a spun out car from a hit and run with no real injuries (they wrote a nice letter), and under FDNY, I have a "Lifesaver" pin for a pre-hospital save, and a service "Campaign Ribbon" for just being in the department on September 11, 2001 (no stars, if 1 star, means worked the Trade Center for the first 72 hours after the collapses, if 2, were there from the time the first plane hit to the second collapse).

Nowadays, the pre-hospital save and campaign ribbon are only allowed on the special occasion "Class 'A' Dress Blues" uniform. Badge is only for ID, not used on any FDNY uniforms, and let's not hijack this string for badge/no badge discussions already in progress elsewhere on the EMT City site.

Also, I was one of many wearing commemorative ribbons for NYPD and an EMS Officers killed in the Line Of Duty, which the FDNY stopped us from doing.

PS: I have seen some members of the FDNY, Fire Fighters, Fire Marshals, EMTs and Paramedics, who wear some small pins or service ribbons from the military on their class "A's". Most of them are also reservists who have been to either Iraq or Afghanistan, and some have been there several times.

PPS: Many members wear commemorative T-shirts for an FDNY Lieutenant/Reservist Army Sargent who was killed in action in Iraq.

I was a reservist who went operation Iraqi Freedom, I have felt a simmering hate between some civilian services and the military. Some services will not hire or give credit for time served as a medic or combat lifesaver. Others want to deny we are even at war.

I started wearing pins on my uniform more out of protest to that type of thinking, I wear small pins and a Iraqi Freedom vet. badge on my jacket. the service I work in has no "class A's" since it is a small young service. I would wear my awards and ribbons on my class A's as we are cross over service personnel.(I practiced pre-hospital medicine in the military)

I believe that military service is the highest form of civil service. Awards won and honours earned should be recognized by all civilian services. I received several good conduct medals and proficiency medals, how can one reason that my behavior over the last decade has no reflection on the type of medic I am now? I believe it shows that the Prior service medics, and combat lifesavers now serving on the civilian side have a special dedication to the art of healing and not just a scoop and transport mentality. A dedication worth recognizing...we've done our time in hell and we're still here to help joe public with their boo boo's. I am one of the first veterans that the public has seen in my area. I get many questions and have the opportunity to account for our work "over there", I feel a special respect from some members of the public and have been thanked for my service. I had one person question my abilities as a medic as he was frightened and wanted the best care and as I proficiently went about my job he noticed my pin and asked about it. He said it put him at ease as he figured I had handled worse in that hell hole. Thats been the majority of my experiences wearing the pins and badges. It has not been sanctioned by my ambulance company but it has not been discouraged either. I think that tasteful use of these pins and badges are a good idea ...even a needed act as we need to be aware of veterans and thankful for the freedom they have bought with their time, energies, bodies and for some even their lives.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.