ADDED TO YOUR JOB DISCRIPTION:

But look on the bright side, James Bond or 007 had some pretty awesome equipment. I can see it now, an ejection seat on the stretcher, a pulse ox that doubles as a GPS, and last but not least the kool knives on your med units wheels that extend with just a flick of a switch.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this idea is wrong on so many levels. First of all it appears to me that this is yet another attempt by bureacrats to bypass civil rights, and the constitution to gather evidence and prosecute lawbreakers of all types. Similar to the patriot act they will try to push it through the neccesary channels by marketing it as a tool to fight the dreaded teeerrroorriiissstts. However I am certain that like the patriot act this would be used to go after lawbreakers other than terrorists 98% of the time.I am 110% for doing everything in my power to stop terrorists and the enemies of this country. However I am not a police officer nor do I have any desire to be a police officer. I desire to provide compassionate service to the members of my community, I do not wish to have any part in the judicial process unless absolutely necessary.My second point is that if the public begins to perceive us as law enforcement or worse yet "snitches" EMS providers will be left in a very very dangerous position. The publics opinion of us would change! The publics not as dumb as some think and we would be left as unarmed ems providers going on scene against a certain demographic of the population that would HATE US. This idea would be beneficial to the LEO community, but would leave ems providers in great danger. Just my 2 cents

Interesting topic, bare in mind that reporting illegal activities "is patient care". How would you feel if you noticed something (whether that is terrorist activity or any other illegal activity) did nothing and the result was the killing of friends and family. Often the "lack" of reporting has led to far worse incidents. I've been there, seen it, I have been involved in the management of several multiple casualty scenarios involving "terrorist" activities (mainly bomb blasts). In most instances all that was required to prevent the incident was the effective reporting of suspicious events prior to the incident. I was unfortunate enough to have been involved in a hostage situation where a mother and child was doused with petrol, the hostage taker insisted that if any law enforcement officers approached the scene he would burn both hostages. It was the "medics" at the scene who managed to gather important information on the situation that enabled the police to take out the suspect. The mother and child were both salvaged. NOW THAT'S PATIENT CARE.

hmm. If you want to se how this plan affects patine care come to my community. Our volunteer service is strictly BLS volunteers BUT, we contract a paramedic from the sheriffs department. The medic wears a sheriffs deputys uniform drives a sheriffs department ALS SUV chase car with his equipment in it. The only thing that seperates him from the deputys is his paramedic patch. People definately get a little nervous when he climbs in and goes to ask them questions and start an IV.

Interesting topic, bare in mind that reporting illegal activities "is patient care". How would you feel if you noticed something (whether that is terrorist activity or any other illegal activity) did nothing and the result was the killing of friends and family. Often the "lack" of reporting has led to far worse incidents. I've been there, seen it, I have been involved in the management of several multiple casualty scenarios involving "terrorist" activities (mainly bomb blasts). In most instances all that was required to prevent the incident was the effective reporting of suspicious events prior to the incident. I was unfortunate enough to have been involved in a hostage situation where a mother and child was doused with petrol, the hostage taker insisted that if any law enforcement officers approached the scene he would burn both hostages. It was the "medics" at the scene who managed to gather important information on the situation that enabled the police to take out the suspect. The mother and child were both salvaged. NOW THAT'S PATIENT CARE.

You are comparing apples to oranges Bushpig. What you are describing here is not what most of us are complaining about. The use of us as "information collectors" is. Helping in a situation is acceptable to some extent, but snooping and poking where we do not belong in attempt at finding something that more than likely will not be there is unacceptable.

You know, I don't consider myself really too conservative when it comes to the government. I wasn't especially bothered by the Patriot Act and the perceived invasions of privacy that have arisen from it. But to think that my government is going to try to make me invade the privacy of my patients, which is supposed to be a sacred sort of relationship? I don't think so. I don't want to have to disect the political background of my patient, I want them to breathe, have a strong pulse, and be alert. I don't care what they believe in as long as they aren't hurting me or my crew.

I'm sickened by this article. I would definitely never comply with anything that would put me in such a position. I'm also concerned with how laws such as HIPPA will ever stick, if the government thinks that they can bend them, seemingly at will? I don't like that mentality.

OMG, where the heck do I start. I would be honored to report anyone trying to engage in terroristic activities. What a great idea. They don't give a shit about us, so why should we give a shit about them. They killed 3000 Americans that day. @#$%EM, They can be sneaky, so can we. CIVIL RIGHTS go out the window when it comes to terrorism. !!!!

OMG, where the heck do I start. I would be honored to report anyone trying to engage in terroristic activities. What a great idea. They don't give a shit about us, so why should we give a shit about them. They killed 3000 Americans that day. @#$%EM, They can be sneaky, so can we. CIVIL RIGHTS go out the window when it comes to terrorism. !!!!

And they can kill 3,000 more, but that's not gonna effect your patient care. Hell, you can have bin laden himself in the back of your rig and your STILL gonna give your best to provide the best possible patient care.

They're not hezbollah, they're not al-qaeda, they're not serial murders, they're not rapists, they're not child molesters, they are YOUR PATIENT and your gonna give them your best. If you have a huge problem with that, then maybe this isn't the job for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.