Best Candidate for EMS?

UMSTUDENT

Which candidate do you believe would BEST represent the interest of EMS providers?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• Hillary Clinton
    • Mitt Romney
    • Barack Obama
    • Rudy Giuliani
    • John Edwards
    • John McCain
    • Chris Dodd
    • Joe Biden
    • Bill Richardson
    • Fred Thompson

So, the Iowa Caucus is about t-minus thirty days away. Most of the candidates have released their form of a plan for heath care, but I've yet to see anything extremely specific for public safety.

Which candidate do you feel would best support the interest of EMS? I don't care about the fire service or public safety in general...I want to know about EMS and the issues that face our profession.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I've yet to see anything extremely specific for public safety.

I seem to recall something about "First Responders for Rudy" being thrown around a few months ago. :roll: I think that under fire and police, EMS is probably tossed into the small print.

A while ago, I sent a rather lengthy letter to several candidates asking for their position on "First Responders", Fire, EMS, Grants, Funding, Education, Equipment Acquisition, 'how can you, help us to help them', etc. Except for a "vote for me" pamphlet, I haven't heard from any of them. Which didn't surprise me in the least, but it was worth a try.

Any candidate who advocates universal healthcare.

A universal health care system in the United States today would be a DISASTER. And disasters always create a need for EMS!

I'd estimate that John "Beauty Salon" Edwards and Dennis "UFO" Kucinich are the two dumb enough to actually try it.

The FDNY, NYPD, and FDNY EMS hate Rudy Giuliani with a passion. Firemen from North Carolina like him. Hmmmmm.... why could that be....

Oh yeah, because he's a crook that screws over all of them? You really want to screwed and screwed hard? Vote for Rudy. We'll have corruption that'll make Richard Nixon look like George Bailey from 'Its a Wonderful Life'.

Ask any New York City firefighter who was around then and mention the words "Rudy Giuliani and Tom Von Essen," the latter being a firefighter who failed his lieutenants exam 3 times, but was appointed to fire commissioner, and promptly removed safety ropes from firefighters, and urged people to smash ambulance's windshields with baseball bats to get the crews attention.

Or ask a NYC EMT or Paramedic about Rudy Giuliani and Steve Zakheim, the latter being the head of a large private EMS company that was given entrance to the NYC 911 system. Later Zakheim was brought up on several charges including defrauding Medicare of millions, sexual harrassment, and illegal campaign contributions to Giuliani's bid for Senator (surprise, surprise).

And then, lastly, read about Rudy and Bernard Kerik. Thats in the papers. If you want to believe he is "America's Mayor" and "Hero of 9/11", go ahead, I have plenty of people in Canada I can stay with. But the truth is he is not a good person and completely wrong for this country. First Responders for Rudy. It should be called "Idiotic Whacker Assholes for Rudy."

None of the above. There hasn't been a candidate that hasn't seemed completely full of shit yet. It's gonna be a lesser of evils election again. Wouldn't it be nice to vote for a decent human being again?

But these days, aren't elections almost always about choosing the lesser of two evils?

Any particular reason you left off Ron Paul? He is the only one with a philosophy that is conducive to progressive EMS.

I originally had Ron Paul listed, along with several other individuals like Dennis Kucinich and Mike Huckabee.

It wouldn't allow me to include more than so many poll options, so I made a quick guess of candidates I felt people would be most familiar with (popularity, media attention, etc).

Elaborate a bit on Ron Paul Dust. He's one of the candidates that interest me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.