Detroit EMT-I Wants To Relocate To Calgary

Sincere

I am Canadian, but am trained in the US, I am in the process of moving back to canada and trying to get licensed in BC through the EMALB. It is quite the process.

Are you a licensed Paramedic or EMT? I'm pritty much in the same boat as you, I'm a Canadian citizen living and working in the U.S., I'm just graduated a EMT-I course, and I'm trying to see if I can get some reciprocity in Canada for my license.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out King County, Washington, won't recognize reciprocity, thank you very much you bunch of egotistical douchebags.

You'd think having a degree from an accreditied university in paramedicine would be enough to be at least considered for reciprocity, but ohhhh no, no, no, not there, they know best. ASSHOLES!

Seems like the Medical Director up there wants everybody on his license to get the same education- his.

Approximately $23 per hour for new EMTs. I can't remember exactly what the new contract was but it's around $23 I'm sure.

Wow that's not bad at all..... What is rent on an appt in a decent area nowadays?

I am Canadian, but am trained in the US, I am in the process of moving back to canada and trying to get licensed in BC through the EMALB. It is quite the process.
Best of luck with it! You will be greatly appreciated if you tell us all how it is going and how it ends up. This question comes up here ever now and then, but I don't think we have yet heard from anybody who has successfully made the transition. That would be very helpful!

I've gotten a lot of the papers together to try and convince the BC boards that I'm worthy of an ACP certification. I found out King County, Washington, won't recognize reciprocity, thank you very much you bunch of egotistical douchebags.

You'd think having a degree from an accreditied university in paramedicine would be enough to be at least considered for reciprocity, but ohhhh no, no, no, not there, they know best. ASSHOLES!

Think of it less as Paramedic school and more as a an academy for training the Medic One program. Many of the "trainees" are already Para's that have worked for other agencies. The pay and the beni's make it worth it, that is if you want to live in Seattle.

I love Seattle, it's a great place to visit, but the traffic gets old real quick. I have been stuck in stop and go traffic from Tacoma all the way to Seattle. I'm happy living just a couple hours away from the insanity, where you can buy home for under 500k. But the NW is great, I haven't seen a part of the lower 48 that is as beautiful.

Also, are you sure you want to give up the Yankees to come to Mariners country. Just for the record we REALLY hate the Yankees here. Not Boston hate, but close.

Oh as far as scope goes you will not believe the difference. Here the scope includes such things as surgical crics and pericardiocentisis.

Wow that's not bad at all..... What is rent on an appt in a decent area nowadays?

depends. shared accommodation is everywhere and not that expensive. you can rent for anywhere from $800 - $1800/month. depends how savvy you are. the market is actually slowing down significantly and housing prices are dropping quickly.

a friend of mine started with CEMS a few months ago, and after deductions, clears about $1600 every two weeks. Not bad for a first year EMT. and don't forget that there is mucho overtime to be had if you want it.

Oh as far as scope goes you will not believe the difference. Here the scope includes such things as surgical crics and pericardiocentisis.

Is that considered a big deal up there, or are you being facetious?

That was standard curriculum in medic school, and in the scope for every agency I've worked for since the mid 1980s.

Good topic and info. I do agree a lot with Dust.

My 2 bits on the Ontario job front and hopefully not too off topic :-)

There "are" a few jobs in Ontario (mostly PT to start) BUT... you need to take your "education" seriously and know your sh*t before you begin applying for positions. "Most" larger employers tend to give everyone an equal chance. Trick is... the written is the first step in the hiring process so you need to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the theory (patho, A&P, practical, etc) covered in your education or your shot at the job is simply trashed. This is where most ppl are eliminated. It's simple! At this point, employers don't care how good you are with pt's, on the road, interpersonally, etc. So, if you are successful in your written your chances of employment are pretty good as long as you can marry your education with your training/skills (for scenario testing) and exercise common sense and "on your feet" thinking during your interview.

I guess my point is, and I hear all the time, is that ppl think that because they're a good medic/student on the road that they deserve a job and when they don't get hired they blame it on the job market. Sure it's competitive and the industry has seen better years (the cyclical thing again) but I would "estimate" that there were 175+ jobs openings last year in S. Ontario - maybe more!?!? That's not a lot but... if you're on top of your game the chances are good that one of those spots are for you. I'm just tired of hearing excuses from everyone. Every wonder why in the spring (S. Ontario) some ppl get multiple job offers? ... Because... they've invested ample time and energy and have taken their education very seriously - with great end result.

I suppose the same goes for most other areas as well though, I do know that some smaller services trash your resume based on your postal code or only consider those connected in some way to the service :-)

I just wish everyone would stop complaining about the job market and look at the real reason they're not getting hired. There "are" jobs so long as you're willing to put the effort in.

Thanks for the platform

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.