Unprepared?

Jenke88

Ok so I am taking the first responder class now as a college credit and will be taking the EMT-B class starting in January. I have also worked as a dispatcher and as a CNA in an ER where I am from. I was just wondering what if there are some of the things were that they really dont teach you in these classes to get me prepared for some of the things that I will be doing? And how long should I wait until until I do the EMT-I class?

Whilst I cant comment on you training, one thing that is common to ems around the world is that a lot of what you learn as you progress cant be taught in the class room.

I would advise you to recognise that the classroom only gives you the basics on which to develope your self an em EMS provider. Do that and your less likely to fall flat on yuor face. I have seen and awful lot of newbies (especially FRs) end up looking very silly because theu think they know it all.

Were you thinking of making a career in EMS, have you thought about the full paramedic training?

Did that make sense to anyone other than me.

1. If you go to a good school, you learn everything you need to know. Choose wisely.

2. Don't go to I school. It's a total, counterproductive waste of time and money for people who aren't serious.

3. The one thing you can do to best prepare for the practice of medicine is to get an education. Pick up a college catalogue and get started today.

There isn't much a proper paramedicine course can't teach you. As for EMT-B, well, they pretty much left out everything. What you need to learn to care for the critically ill or injured is a strong didactic education, and then a lot of time in the field with experienced, motivated educators who can help you apply your knowledge to field operations.

People will feed you crap about "Street smarts" and "you can't learn that in the classroom" and "you just have to know." These people are morons and should be recognized as such. Well, okay, I mean, where not to stand when someone has projectile vomiting usually takes some first hand experience.

1. If you go to a good school, you learn everything you need to know. Choose wisely.
I hate it when people say that there's the classroom way, then there's the street way. If you're school is good, they'll teach you the street way....the correct way to do things the street way, that is. They won't give you only scenarios where everything goes smoothly and you can do your assessment A, then B, then C, and just let you know that in the streets it might be different...they'll actually have you practice it. In my opinion.

A lot of my student ride-alongs say they're told there's the school way, but they know there's the street way...I think they're trying to get on our good side by saying it and acknowledging that they're there to learn what we have to offer. I appreciate that, but it annoys me that the schools aren't giving more realistic education.

I guess in the end it's because they don't have to....most EMTs probably never end up in a 911 job or get a crash course in the field...and no one complains.

There is only one way to do things and that is the RIGHT WAY. Of course the book doesn't prepare you for every situation. You do need to have some critical thinking skills but you can never go wrong with the "by the book mentality".

OK we are a little off topic,, but I have found the people who say "there is a class way and a street way" are the people who don't know $hit. That's a cop-out for not knowing your protocols, or talking your way out of a screw-up.

Thats what I like about having students come and go, they keep you on your toes asking why you are doing things differently than they just learned in school.

OK we are a little off topic,, but I have found the people who say "there is a class way and a street way" are the people who don't know $hit. That's a cop-out for not knowing your protocols, or talking your way out of a screw-up.

Thats what I like about having students come and go, they keep you on your toes asking why you are doing things differently than they just learned in school.

As usual, Mobey speaks teh wisdom. :thumbright:

Not to ignore quality posts by Asys and Ray also.