Unprepared?

Jenke88

You must be going to a good school. I didn't have to think about my class except for the five minutes before it started 2x a week for 4 hours. :-/

or maybe you're just smarter than me. during emt classes and while i was studying for registry i was seriously m.i.a.

...reason number 590 why im terrified of paramedic school...

There are book-learned and street-learned EMTs and Paramedics. I have seen good ones and bad ones from both areas of training.

As I see it, learn the books, then add the street smarts. Youse guyz have to strike the right rhythm for yourselves, that balances patient needs against the needs of the rescuers to remain safe, and/or out of court.

I think it comes down to this: Combine the knowledge you gain from school (school smarts), with your street smarts (practicing the school smarts in the real world).

Get yourself a well rounded education. If you're serious about EMS, keep going straight to paramedic, taking the two year degree option. Be sure you take english, communications, psychology, biology, anatomy & physiology, and a few other electives that will make you an educated paramedic. Since you will have your EMT-B certification, try to find a service where you can practice the skills (as few as they are) that you learned in class. If you can get on an ALS service, even better. Learn from your medic partners.

Good luck in your future ventures.