Jenke88

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yea. You ain't from Jersey.

Look up the NJ First Aid Council.

They are a part of the reason NJ EMS is still in 1970

That is exactly why NJ is in the 70's. The First Grade Council recommends an EMT somewhere in the ambulance, meaning they could be driving, leaving a non-EMT in the back. In NJ you can be regulated by either the NJ Department of Health, the First Aid Council, or no-one at all. There are squads in New Jersey that are unregulated, and many times carry personnel who are trained in advanced first aid or first responder classes. People wonder why NJ is so behind, and it's because we have no standards.

Regardless of stupid laws I stand by my first statement.

"Please do not enter our health care profession with the goal of driving ambulance. We only want people interested in becoming health care professionals. Can we help you to see what is involved in being a health care professional? "

The fact that a 19 Y/O is asking about when she can start driving, is reason enough to up the minimal age to 25, with EMT, and CDL as prerequisites. Might go a long way to minimise the amount of idiots who run red lights, often with a perfectly stable patient on board.

We have drivers who aren't EMS trained. There are several combinations of EMTB's, EMTP's, FR's, AA's and EVO's that are acceptable. Depends on the individual call.

Our EVO-Only personnel must have EVO, HIPAA and CPR. These persons are usually firemen, or fire officers. Just extra hands to have around, a trained gofer, per se. But other than lifting on scene, they have little patient contact. We run routine BLS calls w/ an EVO and an EMTB. EVO's w/ the above training and advanced first aid can be used as attendants, according to the PA EMS Act 85. I've utilized that loop hole a few times.

In PA, there are many ambulances that respond with 1 EMT, and someone else driving.

I I remember correctly, the DOH requires drivers to have EMS training, but there are volunteer ambulances that show up every day with just "drivers" driving. Many of them are three days older than Jesus.

In NM all that is really required is a valid NM driver's license. Shocked

Our County requires CEVO, CPR, and firefighter first aid ( First Responder).60 hours.

We usually run with two EMT-B's and an EMT-I with speacial skills. Laughing

That list of states to avoid getting hurt in is growing bigger every month. :shock:

Well, technically speaking, you don't have to be an EMT in California to drive. To maintain an "Ambulance Driving Certificate" [multiple choice test], you must be an EMT-B within 6 months of obtaining the certificate.

Why just driving? The adrenaline rush? The ability to say to all your friends "I drive ambulances!" like it's a reward?

EMT-Basic is 120 hours at a minimum, and that is purely clinical. EVOC/CEVO is a separate class altogether, generally a single weekend, but I'm all for making it a longer length of time and reinforcing the basics - L&S are NOT used to go to McDonalds for dinner, a complete stop is a total cessation of forward movement, and those flashing lights? A privilege, not a right.

Screw the laws. There should be 2 medics in back plus a third medic driving. That way you can handle any real call you get. I would not work for a service that only has 1 emt or paramedic on board with just blow joe driver.

The new PA Protocols require 2 EMTs on a BLS truck.

But only if the call is an emergency. If it is a non-emergency, i.e. transport/inter-facility, an EMT and EVO are fine, as long as the EMT is w/ the patient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.