Autopulse

I believe the Autopulse will be the next big thing in the world of EMS. We have had the opportunity to see one on demo, and found it to be light, well constructed, and efficient, as well as easy to use. For anyone who has seen or used a thumper, the autopulse is far superior. It is backed by strong research indicating better perfusion pressures, and can take the place of two rescuers on a long arrest transport. Zoll believes in this piece of equipment, as they have acquired the company that designed and manufactures it. Anything with the Zoll name on it is a quality piece of equipment.

The drawback - PRICE! At last check, the price of a new autopulse was around $15000.00, which is extremely steep for most agencies on "fixed incomes". Is the expense worth the benefit? Maybe. I do have an autopulse on my Christmas list.

so having the distinct pleasure of the most uses in the United States --35 plus and counting I highly recommend it -- wouldn't even want to attempt a code without one now -- the local hospitals are now using them also -- any info you want I can e-mail you some stats just PM me

Paul

• 1 month later...

There is a good video of the autopulse being used on the zoll website, just talking with heart speciaists and ER docs as well as paramedics using them, I think this will do for EMS of today what the introduction of Defibrillators did all those years ago.

Add that to the christmas list (as well as a shiny new rig) hehehe

Scottymedic

I want one i want one :shock:

This isn't exactly revolutionary. It's just an up to date model of a "thumper" that have been around for quite a while. And unless it has a pause every 15 beats or so, how exactly are you supposed to ventilate the patient with a BVM? I mean, I suppose it would be nice for someone who's intubated in refractory v-fib with a 30 minute ETA, but I think for $15,000 I'll try the old "well trained professionals" for my chest compressions. They cost less and they can hold things too.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen this device bring a patient that was very pale without CPR being performed. When we finished our 5 minute trip to the hospital, the ER doc didn't believe that the pt had been down as long as he had. The pt was pink and looked like he had perfect perfusion. That was without manual CPR performed only the auto pulse. It is truly amazing.

Sorry to disagree, Asys, but the Autopulse is very much different than the thumpers you are referring to. A thumper is an oxygen powered device that is capable of producing force in only 1 dimension and at only 1 rhythym. The autopulse is programmable for 15:2, 5:1, or asynchronous compressions. The design of the Autopulse provides for even compression circumferentially around the thoracic cavity, rather than just pumping the sternum. This is just inference at this point on my part, but there must be a benefit to squeezing the chest in this manner - remember that AHA endorses hands encircling the chest for infant CPR, citing better perfusion pressure in infants. Wouldn't the same hold true regarding perfusion pressure for adults??

It looks like it does provide a better chest compression than the old model sewing machine looking devices I was refering too. I say use it to replace the old style machines, but never use it to replace a trained professional.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.