Do you take Vital Signs ???

owley medic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRAVO MIKE! I said that to a call (to a nursing home)a few years back in the middle of night for a call where they were clearly trying to get rid of one of their (drunk) retirees for a few hours, wasting our time. I dont know why they hated me after that...

good times Mike, thanks for the reminder.

I really don't understand how some nurses could be so stupid. There was one time when we took a patient to the hospital and we gave the nurse the patients chart and as she was reading it, she told the doctor that the patient was allergic to NKDA (no known drug allergies.) :violent1:

...stupidness...I think that people should realize that emt's and paramedics actualy do more than just take people from point A to point B...and drive an ambulance...what do they think they do durring that time? duh... even though im not a medic...I know for a fact that they do MUCH more than that...

...haha...you should have told them that you did get the vitals...but if you were to tell them...you would have to kill them....

I was speaking to a rep from our local EMS office about the subject of ER nurses being required to do ride along time on an ambulance prior to being hired.

I was surprised when she told me that many moons ago that had been common practice. By many moons I mean maybe 10-15 years.

It's a very good idea, personally I'd like to see it implemented again. I've had several encounters with nurses in the local ER that were less than pleasant.

I used to be an ER tech, and a few of the nurses I worked with had a bad attitude towards EMT's when I first started there. But after I had a few "discussions" with them about what we do from the time we get on scene to the time we give report in the er is alot more than what they think. I would love it if er nurses and nurses in general had to spend time in an ambulance, just like we all have to spend time in the ER before we get to go take our test.

I used to be an ER tech, and a few of the nurses I worked with had a bad attitude towards EMT's when I first started there. But after I had a few "discussions" with them about what we do from the time we get on scene to the time we give report in the er is alot more than what they think. I would love it if er nurses and nurses in general had to spend time in an ambulance, just like we all have to spend time in the ER before we get to go take our test.

Your right it benefits us all to see how the other half operate.

I work for a private ambulance and we do 911 in contracted muni's but also transport patients out of hospitals when we have enough trucks in service to cover 911 areas. I always bring stethescope, pulse ox to floor. I have found out that it is almost a dead give away, when the nurse freaks out when I get vitals on floor, that the patient is not ready to leave. I don't do this to get out of transporting patients to nursing/rehab facility. I do it simply to save time when my partner gets report and paperwork. Due to the lovely state of HMO's and PPO's they want to clean the floor of the hospitals too soon sometimes. There are exceptions ie Hospice, etc but I do get the feeling that nurses think we load the patient and sit in the front and go. I wish, then I could justify the pay I get.

This should be for another thread. I showed up to nursing facility the other day and the fire department beat us there. We arrived and the hood was up on the ambulance - apparently they had a diesel fuel leak? As soon as, we came out with patient, they put hood down and left. I guess it wasn't that bad of a leak? Lazy people in EMS, gotta love em'.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.