Lets just pretend I want to come BACK to Jersey...

FireGuard69

I'm all for overthrowing the EMS regime in NJ, too, but I'm more of a sit back, let other people do it for me, then come rushing in when the demand for paramedics goes through the roof. Then it will be Fireguard, Mediccjh, and myself running a nice little unit at Point Pleasant beach on Memorial Day weekend. Oh yeah.

Sounds like a plan to me! :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That web site isn't very helpful....I was already registered apparently but I can't get my password! Bastards!

On to more pressing points.....what the hell would possess you to go back to that god forsaken land? You've got it made here. Not for the pay, but you'll never beat the retirement. And until NJ follows those recommendations and opens it up to municipalities and counties to operate ALS trucks, it will continue to suck. Yes, you can get paid double what you're making here if FLA, but unless you do a 401k you get nothing for retirement. And then you just hope the hospital doesn't pull a Kessler and file bankruptcy causing you to lose the retirement you paid for!

That web site isn't very helpful....I was already registered apparently but I can't get my password! Bastards!

On to more pressing points.....what the hell would possess you to go back to that god forsaken land? You've got it made here. Not for the pay, but you'll never beat the retirement. And until NJ follows those recommendations and opens it up to municipalities and counties to operate ALS trucks, it will continue to suck. Yes, you can get paid double what you're making here if FLA, but unless you do a 401k you get nothing for retirement. And then you just hope the hospital doesn't pull a Kessler and file bankruptcy causing you to lose the retirement you paid for!

I am having the same issues trying to login. :roll:

I plan on not just doing EMS my whole career. OCFD, ACFD, North Wildwood FD, I just don't know which one I want to work for yet.

But a municipality Fire Dept is definately in the future.

And why?

Its HOME. Maybe its just the Hell hole part of the state I am in, but I just don't really like it here.

OCFD and ACFD are probably going to be the best paid. And at least your EMT cert won't go bad if you in OCFD. They are hard to get hired onto though. ACFD is a little easier to get on to, although it's quite political. NWFD, you've got a snow balls chance in hell. They hire infrequently, and you usually have to work with them in some capacity before they'll hire you. At least, thats the way it used to be. You've got a better shot at the other two.

OCFD and ACFD are probably going to be the best paid. And at least your EMT cert won't go bad if you in OCFD. They are hard to get hired onto though. ACFD is a little easier to get on to, although it's quite political. NWFD, you've got a snow balls chance in hell. They hire infrequently, and you usually have to work with them in some capacity before they'll hire you. At least, thats the way it used to be. You've got a better shot at the other two.

ACFD is on my list of "dream" depts, but is slightly less likely, due to the damn residency requirement.

Until I DO get hired on somewhere, I plan on getting a P/T spot with NWFD. My former partner at MAES got picked up, and pretty much works full time hours there.

But since the pay is better at a MICU, that will be full time, until I get picked up.

Oh well, as long as I have a place like this to bounce ideas off heads, I should be fine.

I am having the same issues trying to login. :roll:

That site is for current NJ certified people. Username is the ID number. And you need to call to have your password reset.

I actually find the site helpful in following my CEUs and current certs. NJ EMTs get mailed the initial letter with login/password. I never got mine and called to have my account reset.

Yeah, I finally got them to reset it since it never got mailed. It's kind of a funny thing with reciprocity. I guess since I was certified there for 5 years, they allow me to just resume it I guess. It said that I can't apply for reciprocity because I am "already approved for paramedic certification". Then it only asks for a project with whom I'd be working.. I wonder if I'd get my old cert number back?? It was so easy to remember. 2424. Anyway, I guess that means all I have to do is get a job, and I'd be recertified.

On to you OC,

MICU will pay you more than NWFD. And probably ACFD, to start. But I know the medics work OCFD full time and only PT at ARMC because they get paid better at OCFD. Your friend that got hired, where were they from? I didn't recognize the initials.

On to you OC,

MICU will pay you more than NWFD. And probably ACFD, to start. But I know the medics work OCFD full time and only PT at ARMC because they get paid better at OCFD. Your friend that got hired, where were they from? I didn't recognize the initials.

I figured that MICU would pay better then a probies salary, but it would be hard to beat it after the 2nd of 3rd year. lol

Mutual Aid Emergency Services.

She got the Part Time job I was offered, but the Chief called the day I hit the road to come back to Fla. :shock: :roll: Talk about bad timing.

The Medics at OCFD, do they get paid for for their Medic? Or do they get paid the same as the FF/EMTs?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.