How do we inspire others Re: Book learnin

mobey

I just got back from a fairly simple little trauma call. 25 y/o male hit by a tractor at slow speed. The guy got bumped in the hip by the bucket tractor and was c/o hip pain. He was A&Ox4 no other complaints, BP 186/88 P 86 R 26 non laboured. Strong regular radial. He was found supine shivering as it is only about +3 today. As we were immobilizing one of our EMT's stated "he is shock we need to move".

Obviously I don't agree, I asked our EMT after the call why she thought he was to which she replied "I have 5 years experience and I know shock when I see it".

As it turns out he has a nasty bruise and thats it, he walked out with crutches.

So my question is: How can we as competent EMS personnel inspire others to hit the books and net and keep up thier knowledge base?

As I have said many times before on this site, Experience means nothing if you have no book smarts.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a 100 page report on all forms of shock and how it affects all organs all the way to the cellular level should be a part of every school. Then it should be required to pass a test and also do another shock research paper every two years on the job. Why you ask? Because in EMS shock is where we can do the most good or harm to our patients.

As far as motivating somebody, not much you can do besides talking about various new things you have learned in hopes it motivates them. That is unless you write the checks then you can cram it down their throats.

Find the time to get into the full discussion about the issue at hand. It may not be enjoyable for anyone, but as a seasoned provider, you have to be willing to show another the error of what they have said.

I probably would have asked, "What in your vast experience tells you that this patient was in shock?" Hoping to find the specific problem, then correct it immediately.

ROFL! Tell her that she just became my poster child for why not to wait five years before going to paramedic school! :D Or tell her that medical professionals from thirty different countries are, at this very moment, laughing at her on EMT City. I would hope that would be motivation enough to get her head straight.

Unfortunately, her non-responsive response seems to indicate that she is beyond clueless, meaning she doesn't even know what she doesn't know. You trying to explain it to her is probably futile. About the only chance of getting through to this kind of person is to hear it from somebody who holds her future in their hands, like a manager or medical director. Somebody she is not as likely to argue with or try and BS.

To paraphrase the prison captain from "Cool Hand Luke", some people you just can't reach, which is how she wants it.

But, to address the broader question, as it applies to the mature and intelligent practitioners amongst us, probably the best way to encourage educational excellence is to lead by example. Show others exactly how you came to know all you know by letting them see you with your face in the books during down-time. Patient care is simply not enough of a challenge in itself to educate people, or to keep them current. So long as nobody dies on them, most providers will continue to assume that they know enough, and that they did everything right. That is what happens with this scenario you just presented. Sure, she was retarded. But her patient lived, so -- to her, at least -- that is proof that she was right. So you have to find other ways to challenge these people intellectually. While you are studying at the station, and they are sitting on their arse watching E.R., ask them questions from your book. Not in a quizzical way, as if you are challenging them. Do it in a professional conversational way, like you are trying to learn something and seeking their help. Let them hang themselves by either not knowing, or else making up some lame BS answer. Just shake your head like you appreciate their input. Then go back a few minutes later and tell them what you just learned from the book that totally contradicts what they said. This is where you sort those who have potential from those who are losers not worthy of your efforts. The former will take interest in learning more. The latter will either continue to BS, trying to justify their ignorance, or just blow you off. There, you can decide who is worth even trying to reach.

ROFL! Tell her that she just became my poster child for why not to wait five years before going to paramedic school! :D Or tell her that medical professionals from thirty different countries are, at this very moment, laughing at her on EMT City. I would hope that would be motivation enough to get her head straight.

OK, I've got to admit, that just made a really bad night a whole lot better. :evil4:

But guys wait a second and give her the benefit of the doubt.

She does have 5 years of EMT Experience.

She also knows shock when she sees it. Now that's pretty impressive credentials don't ya think?

You know, to digress, but I got my son a rock polisher for his birthday. It polishes 3 pounds of rocks at a time. I'm sure that she's smarter than a box of rocks but maybe she's not smarter than a tumbler full of rocks.

Or the other thing she might be able to claim is "I'm not smarter than a 5th grader"

Who knows.

But guys wait a second and give her the benefit of the doubt.

She does have 5 years of EMT Experience.

She also knows shock when she sees it. Now that's pretty impressive credentials don't ya think?

You know, to digress, but I got my son a rock polisher for his birthday. It polishes 3 pounds of rocks at a time. I'm sure that she's smarter than a box of rocks but maybe she's not smarter than a tumbler full of rocks.

Or the other thing she might be able to claim is "I'm not smarter than a 5th grader"

Who knows.

=D>

ROFL! Tell her that she just became my poster child for why not to wait five years before going to paramedic school! :lol: Or tell her that medical professionals from thirty different countries are, at this very moment, laughing at her on EMT City.

LMAO Believe me I would love to e-mail her this link but she has been with this service for 5 yrs and I have been here for 2 mos, so I would probably be fired :roll: Gotta love the good ol' boy system, Its the reason I have not gone to management with this.

On the upside I got a call from the fire dept. (pt was a FF at a fire scene) and was thanked for calming the situation and making sure things were done properly.

She did not get a call :lol:

I think Dust is right..No matter what I say she will never admit she was wrong. I guess we will see what happends next time, hopefully deep down she knows I was right and will let me call the shots next time.

I think you know the answer to that statement. There is no way she's gonna accede and say you were right.

She might even have the sense of my sons tumbler full of rocks too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.