Belt

AMESEMT

Maybe if you tell us exactly how you are hard on them we can judge better what would be optimum. Most guys I know who are hard on belts are around 320, and are trying to fool themselves into believing they only have a 40 inch waist by cinching it so tight under their belly, instead of over it, that the belt is being pulled apart every moment they wear it. In that case, simply being honest about your true waist size is all the cure that is needed.

Is the seat belt buckle dragging against it in one particular place that is wearing it out? Maybe a spring sticking out of the seat of your car? No accusations here, but are you wearing too much crap on your belt, a la NY/NJ/PA? Seriously, I wore the same standard leather uniform belt for six years as an urban firemonkey-medic and it still looked fine. An occasional coat of polish goes a long way towards keeping it looking good. Down south, where we're not really into accessorising, that is what most people have always seemed to wear. Like this...

336472.jpg

With, or without the basketweave. Or a lot of people opt for the clean, buckleless look, like this...

336469.jpg

And they come in a nylon version too, which is all the rage in Canadia...

AG_AM22_L_1.jpg

I switched over to the plain old cotton, military web belt with the brass buckle a long time ago. They will fade over time, especially in sunny climates, but they're cheap to replace. But I prefer the conservative and professional look of those, and they are very lightweight, unlike leather or nylon. Like this...

205-00002-2.jpg

In recent years, since the military switched from web belts to nylon BDU belts, they have become popular, like this...

AG_BMD151_L_1.jpg

That's what I wear here, but I doubt I would stick with it in the civilian world. I'm more into the business look than the SWAT look.

Up in the Northeast, they're all about the Bat Belt cop look, worn over an underbelt, like this one...

339344.jpg

Although, it seems like much of the North is going Canadian style, which is the same as above, but in nylon, like this...

336480.jpg

There's the most popular options for you. A lot of things to consider, really. Looks, function, durability, price, and of course, whether or not it makes you look like everybody else you work with, which may or may not be a good thing.

Good luck with school!

Thanks Dust! I am only like 145-150. It is usually around the belt buckle, then I have had a belt just break roughly in the middle (it was leather). Since I am not with a service I have nothing on my belt. Mainly due to having belts break/wear out quickly, I thought I would just find out what people use/recommend. Thanks again for the images and suggestions. I will keep everyone updated on how medic school is going when it starts!

Ames

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.