Equipment and Vehicles

I am pleased to say that I am employed in the state of georgia. I don't know about the other states but it seems that most ambulances are pretty much have the same equipment and vehicles.. I wonder if they would ever consider perhaps creating a vehicle that could have louder sirens, more easily accessible for both paramedics and patients, and if they would upgrade the actual design of an ambulance van. I wonder if anyone could give me any feedback on their views especially if you reside outside of the Georgia area. Thanks!

Current ambulance design is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Partially due to no one entity being responsible, and the end user being willing to accept the design limitations coming from manufacturers. Ambulance design is unsafe, and it is extremely expensive to modify the design to improve safety. Unfortunately, those responsible are subsidised by the industry to leave well enough alone.

You may hear of a few individual modifications to improve the situation, but there will never be widespread changes made. It's just too costly to do so. Both to the consumer, and the manufacturer.

AZ - I'm in agreement with the main idea of your post, but I'd be happy to get some specifics. What majr design changes would you like to see?

I think the major flaw in ambulance safety is the activity that has to go on inside it while it travels at relatively high speeds on public roads. What could be improved?

The usually only good thing I can say about my Department is that they give us good ambulances, as in they can take a hit from a taxi and not even scratch the bumper.

If there is one problem with modern ambulances its that they are over designed. Airshocks, all the nifty little bells and whistles, these are all things that can break and put a unit out of service. Give me a MASH 4077 Jeep that can take a mortar round and still keep driving and I'll be happy.

AZ - I'm in agreement with the main idea of your post, but I'd be happy to get some specifics. What majr design changes would you like to see?

A usable restraint system for the providers. Many have tried to develop something that will work, and it always becomes cumbersome to actually use.

Equipment within arms reach. The major problem is having people wander all over the patient compartment to find the item that they need to use.

Involve OSHA in the regulation of ambulance operations. Right now ambulance safety is a "transportation issue", so the D.O.T is held responsible. D.O.T. only legislates safety measures within two feet of the back of the driver's seat, which leaves most of the patient compartment uncovered.

I haven't worked the field in a while , but it would be impressive if they came up with a rig that had as smooth a ride as the old ghostbuster Cadillacs ( you couldn't beat them , great for long transports or pts. in a lot of pain smooth as a baby's backside ) Q2B siren ( mechanical siren that makes people think FIRE TRUCK and get the heck out of the way ) , Grover air horns , all wheel drive that handles well , lots of storage with easy access , easy access from the pt. compartment to the cab , and good engine package .

I'd like to see a ramp that pulls out from under the floor..

That, or patients that weigh less.

old news in the UK ...

pull out ramps were in vogue aobut 10 years ago it;s all powered wedge folders or tailifts nows - priarily becasue a pull out ramp has manual handling operations risks in in self 9 bending, twisting, ulling it out hile bent over and walking backwards ..._

Remember we discussed that. The UK had several styles.

[s:e153352baa]No..[/s:e153352baa] Yeah, I guess I have seen it before.. However, March? I don't remember much of what I did last week.. I'd love one of those lifts.

I'm aware they're available in the UK. I didn't say I've never seen them or they don't exist, I meant I'd like to see them on our rigs. Which, will never happen.

They are a rare sight here, except on wheel chair/stretcher vans and bariatric rigs. In fact, that's the only time I've ever seen a ramp, on an ambulance specifically set aside for Bariatric's. However, it was not an option for Type 1 FWD rigs in 2003, our last purchase. It was only available on Type 2 Vans.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.