What is Professional EMS?

A professional can be defined as:

a worker required to possess a large body of knowledge derived from extensive academic study, with the training almost always formalized.

Professions are at least to a degree self-regulating, in that they control the training and evaluation processes that admit new persons to the field, and in judging whether the work done by their members is up to standard. This differs from other kinds of work where regulation (if considered necessary) is imposed by the state, or where official quality standards are often lacking. Professions have some historical links to guilds in these regards.

Professionals usually have autonomy in the workplace—they are expected to utilize their independent judgement and professional ethics in carrying out their responsibilities. This holds true even if they are employees instead of working on their own. Typically a professional provides a service (in exchange for payment or salary), in accordance with established protocols for licensing, ethics, procedures, standards of service and training / certification.

The above definitions were echoed by economist and sociologist Max Weber, who noted that professions are defined by the power to exclude and control admission to the profession, as well as by the development of a particular vocabulary specific to the occupation, and at least somewhat incomprehensible to outsiders

So an EMS professional should have education, be able to work w/o immediate supervision, have to attain and maintain certification as required by a group other than government.

Obviously changes are needed for us to meet that definition.

So what is professional EMS? Only a dream.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Professions are at least to a degree self-regulating, in that they control the training and evaluation processes that admit new persons to the field, and in judging whether the work done by their members is up to standard. This differs from other kinds of work where regulation (if considered necessary) is imposed by the state, or where official quality standards are often lacking.

Ooooh! I like this point!

All too often I hear well intentioned, but misguided people ranting about how government regulation is the answer to our problems. It's retarded.

Well thank you sir. I can not accept all credit. I forgot to list the definition, while very appropriate, came from an unreliable source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional

I think the author put it very well.

Next time think about putting the source in your original post.

-5 for not citing sources on a cut and paste job.

+4 for admitting it

I'd say -20 for the cut and paste. +9 for the admitting it. Lot of credit for admitting, but the violation was severe. Another reason why education is important...the more classes you take (especially English) the more you are exposed to issues of plagiarism.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.