Are you proud of where you work?

fiznat

Are you proud of where you work?  

47 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

It is a simple enough question, and I'm interested to know. Are you proud of where you work? Try to include all of the possible aspects. Are you proud of your coworkers, of your protocols, of your department/service? Do you wear your uniform with pride? Would you tell someone where you work without hesitation and without a caveat?

The other side would be the opposite. Does your department have bad apples that you feel you need to explain? Do you feel like you need to be the exception to a rule? Do you believe your service is truly interested in proper medical care?

It's a yes/no poll to avoid any BS. Ya gotta make a decision. Feel free to explain your choice!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I am very proud of where I work and like most any other agency's we have a few bad apples just like everyone else. No need to explain that any further cause if you've been around long enough you know what I mean.

As far as progressive protocols and the like, we are stuck with what the state gives us (PA) and they aren't too bad at all. We were one of the first services in the area with 12-lead, Wave form capnography, CPAP and are always looking for new things to bring our patients. By no means are we cutting edge but always looking to improve.....from care to equipment.

www.gvems.org

Too many variables.

Am I proud of my employer? No. Actually, they astound me, and dare I say my coworkers, with their continued feats of stupidity.

Am I proud of the actual physical location where I go to work? Eh...it's alright I guess. Could be better. Could be worse.

Am I proud of my coworkers? Every damn day I go into work.

Am I proud of the job I do? I just go in and try to do my best.

Pride is such a wide ranging and dangerous feeling. It's tough to break it down that easily.

-be safe

Too many variables.

I agree. Fiz, I know you tried to keep this simple, but I don't think it's possible, lol. I mean, most firemonkeys are hugely proud of their job and their employer, even if their medics are 90-day protocol monkeys who hate riding the box. I would agree that pride is an important factor to overall job satisfaction, and ideally, it should be there. But it rates way down on the list of factors.

As for me personally, I probably should not even try to answer, since my employer is not really an EMS agency, lol. But, although there are a lot of idiot medics out here, and the agency itself not only practises idiocy, but places it as a core value, I am proud of where I am and the job I do, which is enough for me.

I am quite proud of where I work. The people I work with I feel overall are competent, I have a fair boss, and it's a reasonable working environment. I don't feel I get abused. However, like anywhere it has it's faults one major one being our trucks (I don't care for them at all - though new ones are slated for the beginning of the year fortunately). Our protocols are pretty aggressive and the docs really push us to think for ourselves and treat the patient, not just follow the cookbook. So yes, I can say I am proud of where I work, and I wear my uniform with pride.

Thank you for the replies (and votes) so far.

I know there are a lot of variables to the question, and I am aware that our feelings about our jobs probably peak and trough depending on so many day-to-day factors. ...Even still, though, I think many of us can come to a conclusion about this issue if we are honest with ourselves.

Dust, I think this is a huge factor towards job satisfaction. In fact, I think that it is an indicator of how we feel about our jobs. If you believe in where you work, that you make a difference, that you are part of a cohesive team and deserving of respect, I think pride comes along with that. This is more the point I'm getting at anyways: how happy people really are with their work and station. With all of the frustrations, are the benefits enough to outweigh? How do you feel at the end of the day, at the end of the week, at the end of the year?

I know it is a tough question though, so again- thank you for those who have replied. I thought it would be an interesting subject.

The EMS system I work for is crap . . . but within that system I am very proud of the company I work for. Part of it came when I took a paramedic prep class and the high score on every exam was from someone who worked (or used to work) for my company. A lot of EMTs are hired as firefighters from our company, so I think they're doing relatively well in picking new hires.

I've seen a lot who don't care, a lot of jerks, a lot who are in it for the social club (read: to flirt with FF's and be popular with the guys at their station), and a few just clueless guys, but comparatively for a job that's marketed as a stepping stone position, we have some good natured people.

I like the place I work. Very proud of most of the people I work with. Perhaps I have been lucky with my partner. We get along well and work well together. Considering the short time ( 6 months) we have been together as partners, we have this thing that neither one has to ask the other to do something. She is also my preceptor so I think that helps.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the system. Not having worked in other systems I suppose I'm somewhat biased. We provide the best care that we can and when finished, we feel pretty good about the care we provided regardless of the level required. At the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about?

Am I proud of where I work? I had to vote yes after giving it some more thought.

I can't answer poll as to many variables.

I enjoy the challenges of where currently I primarily work and the aggressive protocols. Can't stand the city's actions that are ruining the service.

My second job I am proud of how everyone organized and now will have have a county wide paid service (pay comparable to fire depts in big citys with benefits)with paramedic staffed ambulances at every community. Protocols suck.

Our hospital based service sucks ass, the benefits are crap and we have awful insurance but the money is is incredible. The hospital politics are just short of the third chamber of hell and the backstabbing, mean spirited folks are always trying to screw a coworker both literally and figuratively, but the money is incredible. The CCEMTP's here make more than starting nurses so we hold on hoping things will improve.................

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.