Medic school nightmares.

That's the problem...I'm more than a bit of a perfectionist, borderline OCD!

Which means that my C in the class, while passing, is killing me because it isn't an A. But, on the plus side, the place got a bit of a cleaning, since we were getting invaded for a day by the owners. Walking around and not tripping over stuff is sooooo nice.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about this? About a month into my class (currently taking it and just finished Pharm with 95.5% kudos to me even if I say so myself), we are doing KED skill check offs. A guy was doing his on this girl and then she gets real red like. He checks his PMS and then says he can't find her pulse in either arm. She starts sweating real bad and then says she feels her heart fluttering. Sent to the ED from one of the ambulances from the station we are taking the class at.

Then last week we ate at Arby's prior to the 45 min. drive to class. 5 minutes away I'm begging to pull over and puking my guts up. Touch of food poisoning I guess as I puked about 4 more times. Go in, stick a tube, hang an IV, do an IO, get checked off of skills, go back out and puke some more.

I don't buy anyone who says they don't have time to study. I am working two jobs, 70-80 hours a week. I do my homework next to my kid or right before bed. I may only be getting 6 hours of sleep, but that is the commitment I made. I have cancelled cable, and log onto EMTcity only during study breaks, but I know it will pay off in the end.

I have gotten some help from some of the medics around and that has helped greatly. The best things I have learned have been from a medic on the truck when I ask for the help I need. They have all been there and most will help you get there, although you do have to ask. I really like the quizzes while working a patient. The medic I work with mainly will let me verbalize through what I would do, but then go something like "nah lets get a monitor on first," or "let's get this line first then I can help." We discuss the why's after the call during the run report time or en route to a our next run if time permits, but he will always make sure we go over it after the shift is over if we haven't had an opportunity to do it.

There is tons of experience and help around you, but you have to ask for it. Sometimes they legitimately can't help you, but there usually are more than one around to help. ER docs and MD's are also good assets to use. They especially like to shape the minds of those that will be working with them/ for them later. And also don't forget the nurses. helping out with that bed pan sometimes will open a very educating door. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty as payment for a little extra help.

Enough raving, got airway final on tues. and work 48-54 hours between now and then. good luck to all who are testing. My biggest thing is studying the objectives and then worrying about the rest. It seems if I can answer all of them, I do fine on the test. Thanks to all that have helped me if you are on this board under an alias.

Michael

Im also a mother of 4, working 2 jobs, and in the medic class. On top of all that i find out that my husband of ten years has been cheating on me. i have the stress of all that and still passing my class. Im in the final semester of class and have no intentions of quitting now. Not everyone in the medic class or in ems sleeps around by the way. Some of us have self control. Reguardless of the stress i have found that you can look towards friends for support during stressful and hard times. I also have to be thankful for the wonderful instructors i have in being supportive and pushing me through my hard times

OMG OMG OMG I cant tell if this tread makes me want to run away from medic school, or look forward to it. I have absolutly NO idea what will happen when I go to medic school next year. I can only hope that my husband respects what I want to accomplish, and stands clear of my drive to get it. He works nights now as a floor layer, so school during the day isnt a huge problem. I will get the kids put back in the school closer to me (they were placed in the one closer to my work) so they bus to and from school. I hope things work out. I just want to get in, and not only pass, but be the top in me class :lol:

Oh, and its not like IM a skinny barbie doll type. More like Barbies chubby sister from the trailer park..lol So, Im hoping I dont have to worry about any "scoring" during school, or out in the field. :lol::lol::lol:

I think you'll score just fine. :lol::lol:

Hope you the best in school.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. The drama from the EMTB classes I took have me wondering what more is coming through the medic courses. I don't feel right about sharing the particulars though I will say that I'd never seen a diabetic in crisis before class. Honestly though I hope the drama keeps to a minimum!