Emt Training Programs In The Orlando Area

LoneRider

I'm currently active duty Navy and I'm considering going into EMS in Florida if I get out of the Navy a year or so from now. I'm currently in Iraq as an Individual Augmentee (i.e. a sailor providing help to an Army battalion in some support capacity).

I'm curious about what EMT-B/Paramedic programs are available in the Orlando area. I've looked up Seminole Community College, Valencia Community College and the Orlando Medical Institute as my top three so far. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which program to choose.

The only medical training I have so far is basic Combat Life Saver (first aid and trauma management), so I know I'd need to start at EMT-B and achieve my Firefighting certificate in order to practice in the state of Florida.

I already have a college degree, so I can focus exclusively on the paramedic program. Exactly which certs would I need other than EMT-B, FF1 and FF2, and EMT-Paramedic/ALS to pratice in the state of Florida?

Thank you,

LoneRider

I'm currently active duty Navy and I'm considering going into EMS in Florida if I get out of the Navy a year or so from now. I'm currently in Iraq as an Individual Augmentee (i.e. a sailor providing help to an Army battalion in some support capacity).

I'm curious about what EMT-B/Paramedic programs are available in the Orlando area. I've looked up Seminole Community College, Valencia Community College and the Orlando Medical Institute as my top three so far. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which program to choose.

The only medical training I have so far is basic Combat Life Saver (first aid and trauma management), so I know I'd need to start at EMT-B and achieve my Firefighting certificate in order to practice in the state of Florida.

I already have a college degree, so I can focus exclusively on the paramedic program. Exactly which certs would I need other than EMT-B, FF1 and FF2, and EMT-Paramedic/ALS to pratice in the state of Florida?

Thank you,

LoneRider

Good on ya for already having a degree. My advice is to stay away from any school that ends with Institute. As you search more, you will see a few others that also end in Institute.

Seminole CC and Valencia both have decent programs. I highly recommend you continue looking in the CC direction. I live in Orlando myself but I do have a question for you. Is this where you plan on living and working?

There are several nearby counties which have community colleges with great medic and fire programs. I went to Brevard Community College for my fire training. Seminole CC also has a decent Fire program as well.

At least you realize you will need fire and medic to get a decent job so you are one step ahead in the Florida game. Stay away from the medic mills.

You will need nothing else to get a job from the list you created. The ancillary courses (ALS, BLS, etc) should be included in your programs at the colleges. FF I and II, EMT B and eventually Medic will get you hired.

Good on ya for already having a degree. My advice is to stay away from any school that ends with Institute. As you search more, you will see a few others that also end in Institute.

Seminole CC and Valencia both have decent programs. I highly recommend you continue looking in the CC direction. I live in Orlando myself but I do have a question for you. Is this where you plan on living and working?

There are several nearby counties which have community colleges with great medic and fire programs. I went to Brevard Community College for my fire training. Seminole CC also has a decent Fire program as well.

At least you realize you will need fire and medic to get a decent job so you are one step ahead in the Florida game. Stay away from the medic mills.

You will need nothing else to get a job from the list you created. The ancillary courses (ALS, BLS, etc) should be included in your programs at the colleges. FF I and II, EMT B and eventually Medic will get you hired.

Yes, I plan to live and work in the Orlando area. I've also considered the Daytona Beach area as well. Thanks for the tip on the medic mills, by the way, would you know of any others I should avoid?

Also on another note your label had me under the impression you worked in Alaska. What part of Orlando do you work in and for which service?

Also on another note your label had me under the impression you worked in Alaska. What part of Orlando do you work in and for which service?

Some of us have been here so long that our screen names no longer reflect where we live, lol. AK is one of them.

And as a sailor, you should know where the "Sandbox" is. ;)

OPSEC

I'm in the EMT program at Daytona State College, and it's going really well. They have a few courses a year, and it's 14 weeks long. It's taught by local EMS personell, so every day is an interview, and it includes clinicals and everything. DEF worth it. They only allow 40 or so people each class cycle, and they have night and weekend classes.

Check it out at daytonastate.edu and do a search for EMT.

I'm in the EMT program at Daytona State College, and it's going really well. They have a few courses a year, and it's 14 weeks long. It's taught by local EMS personell, so every day is an interview, and it includes clinicals and everything. DEF worth it. They only allow 40 or so people each class cycle, and they have night and weekend classes.

Check it out at daytonastate.edu and do a search for EMT.

AKMEDIC, of course I know about OPSEC, sailor that I am. And of course I know the sandbox, for a sandbox sailor I am right now.

cpat1723, I'll think about it. I'll keep an ear to the ground.

Also, what's this I hear about CPR being a pre-requisite for EMT-B training? I have a Red Cross card but it's expired. I'll ask our medics if I can get my CPR qualification through them...

Regards,

LoneRider

Hey, I wasn't the one who mentioned OPSEC....

Anywho, some schools require your CPR (BLS) card prior to entry, others may provide it as part of the class.

Either way, it should be fairly easy for you to do the class where you are currently and have it in hand. If there is anything else I can assist with, feel free to hit my inbox and we can exchange emails there.

AK....

Hey, I wasn't the one who mentioned OPSEC....

Anywho, some schools require your CPR (BLS) card prior to entry, others may provide it as part of the class.

Either way, it should be fairly easy for you to do the class where you are currently and have it in hand. If there is anything else I can assist with, feel free to hit my inbox and we can exchange emails there.

AK....

Sorry AK, I for some reason thought you, not Dustdevil had said that. A consequence of being up late working and dashing off a quick reply.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Regards,

LoneRider

Daytona State doesn't require anything. Your first lab night they have a CPR class for healthcare workers so that you're certified immediately. No extra charge, it's covered in your tuition. Also, EMT at Daytona State College is eligible for financial aid...so if you're needing help paying for the class, you can do that as well.

Daytona State doesn't require anything. Your first lab night they have a CPR class for healthcare workers so that you're certified immediately. No extra charge, it's covered in your tuition. Also, EMT at Daytona State College is eligible for financial aid...so if you're needing help paying for the class, you can do that as well.

Thanks cpat1723, Daytona State College (I still remember when it was DBCC) sounds like another great program.

Does anyone know anything about Valencia Community College's EMT program?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.