Ride Along Etiquette?

Caduceus

Cadeuces: Please keep the fire going in your brain for the Medical field.

Don't get discouraged by roadblocks thrown in your way at a young age.

I was 16 when I first got started with advanced first aid and took CPR course, then moved on to LAA [ licensed ambulance attendant ] them EMT=B, them EMT-I.

Now 4 + decades later retirement is coming soon :-}

Personally I would recommend either a coursework in RN or PA for better pay, better benefits and a lot less lifting in all extremes of weather.

My wife is a BSN and an EMT-I. the RN pay is way better and while working in a hospital can be mundane , the climate conditions are controlled.

I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I have seen people die but I know that what I have seen is nothing compared to what a lot of EMTs have seen. I just got back from another first aid class on top of the training I already have. As a homeschooled kid (until next year) opportunities both raise their heads and shy away from me depending on the way I can access them.

It sounds like the library I work at is offering some CPR classes I may be able to volunteer in helping with. I've spoken with the local EMTs in my town (but our station is unmanned) and they are all willing to help me, whether to get a simple ride along or for career advice.

I'm not trying to sound ignorant, arrogant, or rude in saying I really really want to do a ride along. I know that there are some things I shouldn't see at my age. And if the management at my local department agrees, then I can wait another year or two. Again I thank you all for the advice and I look forward to milking more out of you in the future! (Not that I need to, you're all so eager. Nice change)

This is a welcome change in attitude compared to some young whippersnappers we get here. Cad - no offense taken with not wanting to give your location, I simply meant geographical location, not exact address, just so we are clear. But anywho, It sounds like you have this well in hand.

I have a couple of free online courses you might want to take. Nothing great and earth shattering but they might help you sooth the EMS bug in you until you turn of age to take the class.

http://theopenacademy.com/content/public-health-preparedness-and-emergency-response

Anything on this website by the CDC - about half way down the page http://mphprogramslist.com/awesome-free-online-public-health-courses/

And everything from the university of Albany which is found directly below the CDC portion of the site. http://mphprogramslist.com/awesome-free-online-public-health-courses/

Paitent safety course as well http://www.who.int/patientsafety/research/online_course/en/index.html

Scroll further down from the University of albany and find the area where the Universal Class is listed and choose a class there that peaks your interest. http://mphprogramslist.com/awesome-free-online-public-health-courses/

The website that I have mostly linked to has numerous online FREE course offerings, not nearly college level courses but courses that everyone can take and learn something. I think that University of Albany and the CDC pieces might really be of interest to you.

I hope this helps.

• Like 3

@ParamedicMike Oh! I'm sorry. Will not make that mistake again. Thanks. How many years of schooling does it take to be a PA? And can you do it while being a paramedic?

PA school is a graduate level program usually lasting 24-27 months. The first 9-12 months are didactic work. The rest is clinical.

There are programs out there that will combine undergraduate work with the graduate program and make it a five year straight shot. This works out so that what would be your normal senior year in college is your first year of PA school. Your second senior year would be the clinical year. You graduate in five years of straight schooling with a master's degree.

During my first year of school I dropped to part time and worked one 12 hour shift a week. Honestly? Given the intensity of my program even that one shift a week was too much and I wound up quitting that about eight months into it.

@Island I looked into nursing for a time, and to be honest, it is just not for me. My mom went into nursing school and, to be blunt, people treated her like shit. I can't say anything about other nurses out there, but I know nursing is definitely not a road I want to follow, but it's another option and I thank you for sharing. I know that EMTs regrettably don't get paid that much, so I should look into other jobs as well, especially with the competitiveness of hiring into a department. And I definitely will not get downhearted if I get told no about anything. There's still so much I can do. Oh, and congrats on retirement! Whenever you get to it :) I really thank you for having such a positive attitude towards me.

@Cap Ah well. Wow! That's a lot! thanks so much! Online stuff is really useful as this is my last year of homeschooling (secular, mind you. I'm an atheist.) and free is the key. I'll do all of them I can reasonably do at once and let you know the results. :)

@Mike I'm going to graduate high school with my high school diploma and my AA, which is two years of college experience. Would this change the program for me much? Honestly don't think it would, I'd just get in earlier unless there was an age minimum.

@Mike I'm going to graduate high school with my high school diploma and my AA, which is two years of college experience. Would this change the program for me much? Honestly don't think it would, I'd just get in earlier unless there was an age minimum.

Depends on the program. That would be something to further research when you start thinking about colleges.

Howdy kid. Welcome. As another former homeschooled femlae who got into EMS early, I think we have a lot of common ground. I have some questions for you.

1: How much mainstream socialization do you have? I mean, hanging with folks in the normal school system/community, not a homeschool community. Trust me, there is a HUGE difference. There's a lot of interpersonal stuff you're going to have to play some serious mental catch-up on if you haven't had much mainstream exposure.

2: Don't automatically discount nursing school just because your ma got treated like shit. Nursing school is like that. PA programs can be like that. Paramedic school can be like that. Trust me... I was treated pretty badly in nursing school because I am a strong, intelligent personality and was at a different place than some of my peers. I say that with a lot of humility- I am not the best new grad nurse on the planet, nor was I the best nursing student there ever has been... like any new provider, I make mistakes and learn from them. BUT, my instructors didn't always know what to do with me (and often felt threatened by me.) It was pretty miserable at points. Does that mean nursing school was a mistake? No... it's absolutely a good career for me. So just take that into account as you're looking at what you want to do.

3: How old will you be when you get your GED/AA? If it's under 17, do yourself a favor and spend a couple years at a college taking classes. You won't be behind, and your brain has some growing to do still. Be kind to yourself and let yourself be a college student for a little bit. You'd be surprised at how much learning you'll get that has nothing to do with academia.

Where am I coming from with all of this? I started as a first responder in a Venture Crew when I was 16 or 17. I got to do ER shadows and ambulance ride-alongs. I got my EMT when I was 18, and have mostly worked wilderness/community event setting with my EMT license. I have worked as a care provider for the developmentally disabled, an assisted living night shift manager and medication tech (QMAP), a hospital CNA, and now a post-surgical RN. Ask many of the fine folks here on the City... I came along the EMTCity scene when I was about 19, and I was a precocious young'n... much like yourself. (I'm still a young'n, don't get me wrong- I'm only 27.) I can safely say that I am very glad that I did not get my RN when I was younger, and that I did not end up being a super young paramedic. I am a much better provider now than I would have been, because I have a lot more depth to my critical thinking and a lot more intuitive knowledge from my experiences working with people (not just medically speaking, either.) I look back on my third rider days as a 17 year old and realize that perhaps it might not have been the safest thing for me to be doing. They were fun, I learned a lot... but it was a lot of liability for a department to take on.

As I have gotten older, I have realized there is value in age. I think it is the nature of the beast that you can't truly appreciate this as much when you are younger. That doesn't mean that age automatically means something; age is subjective. However, Mobey has a point. If I had encountered some of the situations in my life at a younger age, I might not have been able to cope as well or bring as much to the table... hence his reluctance to allow a 15 year old on an ambulance. Does that mean his perceptions 100% apply to you and your specific situation? No... but he does have a point.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the City! Whatever path you pick, please stick around here... there is so much of value to be learned (from reading old threads and participating in new discussions.)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

• Like 1

Let's do this in order. That's awesome you sound like an older me O.o Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy reply.

Question 1: A lot. I participate in a club in my town (okay, there's only four of us, but it's a town of 400! It's all I could recruit!), I work at a library as a shelver and groundskeeper of sorts, where there's a lot of patron/worker interaction. I go to a bunch of football games when they go on, too. I actually don't hang out with other homeschool groups cause our town is so small. Not a lot of folks homeschool here.

Question 2: I understand. My mom just says a bunch of stuff and her whole experience was so negative that she dropped out and didn't end up an RN even. That's left a really negative imprint on me, I guess. But I will keep an open mind and still look at it as an option.

Question 3: I will be 18 (my birthday's in March) when I get my diploma/ AA and I am graduating from a public high school. I would like to work part time at a department and get another two years of college after I graduate high school. Especially in the field of firefighting, the more schooling I get the better.

Wow. That's a lot of experience in only ten or eleven years. Amazing, really. And I understand where you're coming from. There're no cadet or youth programs for wannabe firefighters/EMTs here so this ride along thing is a one shot deal. It's a good idea to wait, I know. But if I don't get experience early, when? I have to start somewhere, and if not there, where do you suggest?

Believe me, I know I'll regret doing a lot of things at my age when I'm older. "Don't grow up to fast." I tell myself that all the time. I guess I am just not that good a listener. Mobey does have a good point--you all do. I'm kind of stuck between waiting and going now. Thank you, a lot. And I don't mean that sarcastically. I'm just really confused at the mo.

@Scuba I didn't even know they had PMs on the City. -_-" But I will.

By the way: I drew something for everyone who has helped me out here thus far. It's meant to be funny but with my lack of experience here's hoping it isn't offensive. . .The characters in it are EMTs but I think that a lot of you can relate; I know the radio transmission is off, but I had to simplify it so that it would fit in a comic.

http://leastrandomnumber.com/emt-comic/

You may have to click to see a larger version.

• Like 1

Ah! Best idea yet! :D And yes. . .I may be a bit young. We will have to see and if I get to go I'll post me experience here :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.