Ride Along Etiquette?

Caduceus

@ Mike Yes. . .I understand. I will call and if not I'll wait a few months until I'm sixteen. Wow. I didn't even think about the insurance issues. There's a lot I didn't consider. . .

Ah I understand that as well. I'll talk to the guys at football games a couple more times before I go. Even if I can't ride I can always volunteer at an open house.

PAs are just like any other provider. There are some awesome ones that I work with that I don't need to worry about and then there are some that make me pull my hair out and I never want to work with again.

Caduceus, Where are you from? There may be someone on this forum who might be able to help you get your foot in the door. I didn't read that you put a city down.

Second, most of the departments where I came from would not let anyone under 18 ride with them but then again, those departments rarely ran any calls so there was not a single point of them letting you ride.

The departments I'm talking about were the volunteer fire departments who had first responders on them. Those were the ones who ran the calls. Fire calls were few and ver very far between.

What our hospital EMS/ER system had in place was a health systems class that the school put on and it put the students in the hospital in various departments over a semester, so you would be in the ER for a week for a couple of hours a day and then you would be in the ICU next and then so on and so on and then you'd move on to a physicians office and then on to the nursing home. We had about 20 girls, seems that we never had any guys go through the class. The students could never ride the ambulance with us but we did get a couple of waivers based on the students bona fide interest in EMS as a career. Those students either got to see a whole lot of nothing or they got to see some pretty hefty stuff. Just depended on the day and time.

What do you think of physician's assistants? Was also considering this career.

I am a PA. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Let me know.

Edit: It's not "physician's" assistant. No apostrophe. I don't belong to a physician. Assigning possession like you did is a common mistake. Most people do it because they don't know better. However, many PAs out there will really take offense at this mistake. Just so you know and are aware.

That being said, in this case I am not offended and am still happy to answer any questions you might have.

Edited by paramedicmike

@ERDoc And I will not be one of the ones making you go bald.

@ToHell I'd rather not put my location on here, even if it would help me. I am a fifteen year old girl, after all, and I have a little brother to protect. Enough creeps have tried to rob us in the past two months I don't want some guest user to say, "Hey, I live there." And decide to do something worse than kill me! I trust all of you. Just not the anonymous. No offense intended there.

@ParamedicMike Oh! I'm sorry. Will not make that mistake again. Thanks. How many years of schooling does it take to be a PA? And can you do it while being a paramedic?

Edit: It's not "physician's" assistant. No apostrophe. I don't belong to a physician. Assigning possession like you did is a common mistake. Most people do it because they don't know better. However, many PAs out there will really take offense at this mistake. Just so you know and are aware.

Shhh, don't tell my PAs that :devil:

You are not alone, Mobey.

Cad, you sound very mature and intelligent, but I would have a problem with you riding my ambulance simply because of the age issue. Liability would raise its head as well. While the majority of the stuff we do is routine, there are times when there are things that go on that would make any adult want to hide in a hole. It sounds like you have a career path chosen, and I hope this drive continues, but you would be better off taking some courses that allow you to volunteer at events as a first-aider, or possibly as a school first responder. This would allow you to build up a resume that would indicate your commitment to EMS/prehospital care, as well as show your ability to handle some of the scenarios you are likely to encounter doing a ride along.

Don't give up - we need young people who are here because they love it!

I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I have seen people die but I know that what I have seen is nothing compared to what a lot of EMTs have seen. I just got back from another first aid class on top of the training I already have. As a homeschooled kid (until next year) opportunities both raise their heads and shy away from me depending on the way I can access them.

It sounds like the library I work at is offering some CPR classes I may be able to volunteer in helping with. I've spoken with the local EMTs in my town (but our station is unmanned) and they are all willing to help me, whether to get a simple ride along or for career advice.

I'm not trying to sound ignorant, arrogant, or rude in saying I really really want to do a ride along. I know that there are some things I shouldn't see at my age. And if the management at my local department agrees, then I can wait another year or two. Again I thank you all for the advice and I look forward to milking more out of you in the future! (Not that I need to, you're all so eager. Nice change)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.