Metoclopramide - Is it under utilized?

irme

What a excellent discussion! If you all don't mind, I would like to speak as a former regular recipient of this drug. I have to say what a fantastic drug as far as working to get rid of nausea and its job as an anti-emetic! I wouldn't know why its so dangerous but there again I'm not a doctor lol! I recently after 1 year of taking it, had to be taken off of it because it caused the same reaction that certain narcotics cause, which is an instant depressed/anxious feeling, along with hives. So for obvious reasons i no longer take this medication. But thats just my 2 cents on it, thought maybe you guys would want to hear first hand what its like. Overall Excellent drug and I'm interested in more on this discussion. Take care everyone and God Bless you!

I use Reglan all the time with no problems. All meds are going to have their side effects. With Droperidol you have to worry about the THEORETIC cardiac issues and sedation. Phenergan is bad for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum (pun intended) on other threads. Reglan is the least sedating (based on personal experience) and works pretty well.

Hi Doc, do you have much experience with Dimenhydrinate? In my experience here in Ontario it is pretty much the only anti-emetic in use. (obviously there are exceptions)

As I understand the IV form is not available in the USA. The oral form is known as Dramimine an OTC medication used for motion sickness. In my experiences, it works well. Sedation is a common side effect with this medication. I understand the IV form is quite popular in Canada.

Take care,

chbare.

As I understand the IV form is not available in the USA. The oral form is known as Dramimine an OTC medication used for motion sickness. In my experiences, it works well. Sedation is a common side effect with this medication. I understand the IV form is quite popular in Canada.

Take care,

chbare.

It can be given PO, PR, IM or IV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.