To all Paramedic Students !!!!!

tskstorm

I love what is being said here. These are great, simple ways to explain to students what it takes to transition from school to street. How to make this transition is something that isn't usually covered in paramedic school. They just kind of expect you to do it, which doesn't always work.

I have to say, though, that I am a bit uncomfortable with this being applied to paramedic students, for whom it was not originally intended. I think there are a great many students who will interpret this to mean that, once they are thinking like a medic, that they are no longer students. That is dangerous thinking. The best medics are those who never stop being students. Too many medics I see today slip into a deep stagnation once they finish schooll.

The points made above are great, but I think they would work better if presented in a different context that is a little more relevant to paramedic students. Unfortunately, they just think a lot differently than medical students.

I love what is being said here. These are great, simple ways to explain to students what it takes to transition from school to street. How to make this transition is something that isn't usually covered in paramedic school. They just kind of expect you to do it, which doesn't always work.

I have to say, though, that I am a bit uncomfortable with this being applied to paramedic students, for whom it was not originally intended. I think there are a great many students who will interpret this to mean that, once they are thinking like a medic, that they are no longer students. That is dangerous thinking. The best medics are those who never stop being students. Too many medics I see today slip into a deep stagnation once they finish schooll.

The points made above are great, but I think they would work better if presented in a different context that is a little more relevant to paramedic students. Unfortunately, they just think a lot differently than medical students.

True, but sometimes it's better to teach one lesson than the whole chapter.

True, but sometimes it's better to teach one lesson than the whole chapter.

I agree with that. And there were certainly some valuable lessons in there.

My point is, if you are going to teach them only one lesson, that lesson should be that they will always be students, not that they are done learning. I think he missed the boat on that point.