Learning association game...

DwayneEMTP

Vagus Nerve: Either of the tenth and longest of the cranial nerves, passing through the neck and thorax into the abdomen and supplying sensation to part of the ear, the tongue, the larynx, and the pharynx, motor impulses to the vocal cords, and motor and secretory impulses to the abdominal and thoracic viscera. Also called pneumogastric nerve

The American Heritage® Dictionary

New word: Circle Of Willis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darnit Lone, I already did that one! Take it back! :D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

The circle of Willis (also called the cerebral arterial circle or arterial circle of Willis) is a circle of arteries that supply blood to the brain. It is named after Thomas Willis (1621-1673), an English physician.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_Willis

Name the arteries of the head and neck

Carotid artery- the common carotid artery supplies the head and neck with blood. At the neck, the common carotid artery divides into the internal carotid artery which supplies the brain with blood, and the external carotid artery which continues down the neck. The carotid artery is known as a paired structure, in that there is one for each half of the artery.

Next word is internal jugular vein

But this time instead of pasting and citing a source (not that there's anything wrong with that) try putting it into your own words! :o

Carotid artery- the common carotid artery supplies the head and neck with blood. At the neck, the common carotid artery divides into the internal carotid artery which supplies the brain with blood, and the external carotid artery which continues down the neck. The carotid artery is known as a paired structure, in that there is one for each half of the artery.

Next word is internal jugular vein

But this time instead of pasting and citing a source (not that there's anything wrong with that) try putting it into your own words! :o

What happened to the vertebral artery, the basilar artery, the temporal artery, the posterior communicating arteries....and those are considered 'paired arteries' as well, and are part of the collection of 'arteries of the head and neck'.

I'm sure I didn't name them all either, but then again, I haven't needed to major in gross anatomy either.

Each half of the artery? Since you stated that the common corotid divides (bifurcates) into the internal and external corotid....you would think that each 'half' of that artery is complete by itself.

I would hate to think that theres only half of an artery just hanging out either filling with blood with no way to drain the collection.....or just bleeding out because theres nothing to hook to.....

Paired arteries simply denote that there are two...one for each side of the body or organ.

Before someone accuses me of nitpicking.....think about it....

if there's that much room for 'correction' by someone online, think what kind of 'correction' you'll be getting from doctors and possibly med control........

Besides that, when theres such errors...could affect patient care.

We shouldn't have to figure out what you're trying to say, you should be precise and accurate. There is no room for 'you know what I was trying to say'...... or 'you know what I meant'.

I saw a sign in an auto parts store one day...and I couldnt help but think just how true it really was:

THE WRONG INFORMATION WILL GET YOU THE WRONG PARTS EVERYTIME....GUARANTEED

If you're going to make these kinds of 'mistakes' in a chat forum.....you're going to make those same mistakes on your PCR, which will either make you look incompetent, or worse, affect patient care.

Agh each half of the artery, horrible typo, I meant body. Thank you for the correction though, not proof reading what I write will lead to stupid mistakes like that, and it can lead to some big errors. These are the skills I want to improve on, thus why I'm posting on this forum!

What happened to the vertebral artery, the basilar artery, the temporal artery, the posterior communicating arteries....and those are considered 'paired arteries' as well, and are part of the collection of 'arteries of the head and neck'.

I'm sure I didn't name them all either, but then again, I haven't needed to major in gross anatomy either.

So why are you lecturing the kid in, what, his second or third week of basic class?

Each half of the artery? Since you stated that the common corotid divides (bifurcates) into the internal and external corotid....you would think that each 'half' of that artery is complete by itself.

I would hate to think that theres only half of an artery just hanging out either filling with blood with no way to drain the collection.....or just bleeding out because theres nothing to hook to.....

That is exaclty why no rational person would draw that conclusion from what was written above.

Before someone accuses me of nitpicking.....think about it....

if there's that much room for 'correction' by someone online, think what kind of 'correction' you'll be getting from doctors and possibly med control........

I like that you're nit picking...I just don't like that you're preaching. He's one of the few people participating, he took a shot, in his own words, not a cut and paste, and made a small error.

What sent you off on the rant instead of simply correcting his error? Why so preachy today? That doesn't normally seem to be your style...

We shouldn't have to figure out what you're trying to say, you should be precise and accurate. There is no room for 'you know what I was trying to say'...... or 'you know what I meant'.

This would have been a great post had you left it here...

If you're going to make these kinds of 'mistakes' in a chat forum.....you're going to make those same mistakes on your PCR, which will either make you look incompetent, or worse, affect patient care.

Bull pucky! This is exactly the place to make these kinds of mistakes. The ones that worry me don't have the gnads to participate....they can make all their mistakes for the first time when someone can get hurt.

Take a chill pill LS. Pretty cool you took the time to post the corrections, a thread like this depends on that, I'm just not exactly clear why they came with a beating....

Dwayne

internal jugular vein

Internal jugular vein: The deeper of the two jugular veins in the neck that drain blood from the head, brain, face and neck and convey it toward the heart.

The internal jugular vein collects blood from the brain, the outside of the face and the neck. It runs down the inside of the neck outside the internal and common carotid arteries and unites with the subclavian vein to form the innominate vein.

external jugular vein

To whom it may concern:

If my last post seemed to be too harsh, preach or simply beating up on a student, I apologize. My intention is not to beat up on anyone, but to simply get the information as accurate as posible.

I've seen med control (Oakland and Wayne counties in Michigan), call to light the errors on PCR's.

That Detroit area med control boards are more stringent than others...I cant say with any authority. I've only worked under 4 counties protocols in MI. I've seen the docs get angry with other crews for not being able to accurately describe the condition of the pt, use wrong terminology, etc. Behind their backs, these same docs will make comments on the EMT's competency.

I have no problem teaching the tricks I've learned along the path of My EMS career, and I'm sure that some of these will come in handy one day....

I do however want to say this right up front, loud and clear: I DON'T KNOW IT ALL, AND NEVER WILL! I can only go forth and do the best I can with the education that I have, and will recieve in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to listen, I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.....