Learning association game...

DwayneEMTP

Kudos to the person that came up with the idea for the game!

b.r.i.l.l.i.a.n.t!

now when I have more time... I'm playing too!

Get your ass in here! So far Terr and Mikey are carrying the show!!

I'd hoped to show that many here are hungry for education...but so far I'm getting egg on my face.

But...I have faith...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 12 pairs of cranial nerves

Cranial Nerve: Major Functions:

I Olfactory smell

II Optic vision

III Oculomotor eyelid and eyeball movement

IV Trochlear innervates superior oblique

turns eye downward and laterally

V Trigeminal chewing

face & mouth touch & pain

VI Abducens turns eye laterally

VII Facial controls most facial expressions

secretion of tears & saliva

taste

VIII Vestibulocochlear

(auditory) hearing

equillibrium sensation

IX Glossopharyngeal taste

V Vegas senses carotid blood pressure

senses aortic blood pressure

slows heart rate

stimulates digestive organs

taste

XI Spinal Accessory controls trapezius & sternocleidomastoid

controls swallowing movements

XII Hypoglossal controls tongue movements

http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/cn/cranial.htm

Brain Stem

Get your ass in here! So far Terr and Mikey are carrying the show!!

I'd hoped to show that many here are hungry for education...but so far I'm getting egg on my face.

But...I have faith...

Faith can move a mountain my friend..... what about changing the name of the thread to

A learning game or something might get more people interested let them know its about learning. Just a thought there.

terr

Brain stem: The stemlike part of the brain that is connected to the spinal cord. Or conversely, the extension of the spinal cord up into the brain. The brain stem is small but important. It manages messages going between the brain and the rest of the body, and it also controls basic body functions such as breathing, swallowing, heart rate, and blood pressure. The brain stem also controls consciousness and determines whether one is awake or sleepy.

The brain stem consists of the midbrain, pons, and medulla oblongata.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2517

New word: Foramen Magnum

Faith can move a mountain my friend..... what about changing the name of the thread to

A learning game or something might get more people interested let them know its about learning. Just a thought there.

terr

That would be great...I picked the dorkiest possible name...but I didn't know we could change it?

Maybe you know the secret bat handshake....cause after two years I have never gotten a response from Admin on anything...

Can you make it happen Terr?

I asked that is all I can do.

foramen magnum (Latin: 'great hole') is one of the several oval or circular apertures in the base of the skull (the foramina), through which the medulla oblongata (an extension of the spinal cord) enters and exits the skull vault.

Apart from the transmission of the medulla oblongata and its membranes, the foramen magnum transmits the vertebral arteries, the anterior and posterior spinal arteries, the membrana tectoria and alar ligaments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foramen_magnum

Spinal Nerves

At 31 places along the spinal cord the dorsal and ventral roots come together to form spinal nerves. Spinal nerves contain both sensory and motor fibers, as do most nerves. Spinal nerves are given numbers which indicate the portion of the vertebral column in which they arise. There are 8 cervical (C 1 - C-8*), 12 thoracic (T1-T12), 5 lumbar (L1-L5), 5 sacral (S1-S5), and 1 coccygeal nerve. Nerve C1 arises between the cranium and atlas (1st cervical vertebra) and C8 arises between the 7th cervical and 1st thoracic vertebra. All the others arise below the respective vertebra or former vertebra in the case of the sacrum. Since the actual cord ends at the second lumbar vertebra, the later roots arise close together on the cord and travel downward to exit at the appropriate point. These nerve roots are called the cauda equina because of their resemblance to a horses tail.

* Asterisk added to break up combination for a smiley face

http://www.unm.edu/~jimmy/spinal_notes.htm

New Word: Peripheral Nervous System

The peripheral nervous system (PNS) refers to all the neurons (and their supporting cells, or glia) of the body outside the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system [CNS]). The brain is the organ that decides how a person responds to what happens in the surrounding world. While this is an extremely important function, the brain relies upon the peripheral nervous system, and its information gathering capabilities, to receive information about the world and to send appropriate responses to various body parts, such as muscles and glands. The neurons of the peripheral nervous system do not make complex decisions about the information they carry. The appropriate decisions are made instead in the brain and spinal cord. However, without the peripheral nervous system's ability to bring in sensory information and send out motor information, it would be impossible for a person to walk, talk, ride a bike, or even watch television. Without the ability to take in information and send out responses, the brain would be useless.

Peripheral neurons are of two types, sensory and motor. Sensory (afferent) neurons bring information about the world within and around the body from sense organs to the brain and spinal cord, while motor (efferent) neurons carry messages from the brain and spinal cord out to the muscles and glands. For example, if a mosquito lands on a person's arm, sensory neurons in the skin send a message to the spinal cord and then the brain, where the message is understood, and a reaction formulated. The brain's response may be to use motor neurons to cause muscle contractions resulting in a slap on the skin where the mosquito landed.

http://www.biologyreference.com/Oc-Ph/Peri...ous-System.html

Vegas Nerve

Don't you mean the VAGUS nerve? The VEGAS nerve is the one that makes you sweat when you're playing blackjack in Vegas, right?

The vagus nerve: 10th cranial nerve originating in the brainstem, specifically the medulla oblongata, extending through the jugular foramen. Descends from the spinal cord in the carotid sheath, dipping inferiorly behind the left bronchus. The vagus nerve carries motor parasympathetic fibers to all organs excluding the adrenals, as well as innervating some specific skeletal muscles.

It is partially responsible for regulating heart rate, peristalsis, sweating, some mouth motor movements, and maintaining an open larynx during speech/breathing. It also receives some sensation from the outer ear via the Auricular branch.

-most taken from Wikipedia.

Next word: Medulla Oblongata

Wendy

CO EMT-B