Reccommended medical text

hmmike

Hello everyone, after covering anatomy in my basic class, I am left wanting to learn more. I have since picked up a textbook called "Saladin Anatomy and Physiology". It's a great book but it's massive and even focusing on core subjects will take a while. So I come here asking what books did you use to learn anatomy? A trip to Borders yielded plenty books, but if I can get some tried and tested titles, it can make the search a little easier!

Keith L. Moore: Clinically Oriented Anatomy

Frank H. Netter: Atlas of Human Anatomy

Raymond Chung: Gross Anatomy (Board Review Series) (watch out for this one, though, it's small and comprehensive, but lots of errors, and hasn't been updated properly for a long time)

In addition to those, some like Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple (MRS series), which I own but I haven't gotten much use out of. My sister uses Grey's Anatomy, student's edition, but I haven't checked that one out. The actual Grey's Anatomy has helped me out a few times when Moore is not sufficient, though. Also, there's a good atlas called Color Atlas of Anatomy, which is a photographic atlas. Not as schematic as Netter, but good for guidance at dissections and to prepare for practical exams on cadavers. That one is by Roher (spelling?) and some others. You could also check out Sobotta's atlas, but I can't really comment on that. Know very few who use it, although many schools recommend it over Netter.

Plus 5 for having the professional motivation to explore further into this foundational topic! Unfortunately, you ain't going to learn it from a book alone. Save your money.

Ideally, you should have taken a real A&P course before you started this class. Plan B is to enroll in college A&P next semester and the next semster too, and buy whatever the required text is. Plan C is to just suck until you do.

Good luck!

By the way, does American college anatomy include histology or embryology?

I just happen to have my 18 year old college A&P textbook here on my desk with me. :D

The book is 922 pages, not including the index. There is a dedicated chapter to Histology that is 24 pages, plus three pages of review. The next chapter is Integumentary, which is, when it comes down to it, really just more histology. That's another 15 pages.

The chapter on "Devlopment" has 11 pages specifically devoted to embryology, and another 10 pages on postnatal development.

It was a decent overview, but once you got into nursing school, it built heavily on those concepts. As paramedic school should do.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was able to score "Atlas of the Human Anatomy" ridiculously cheap on amazon marketplace. I know I can only learn so much with self study, but it's better than nothing until I start my class this spring.

Don't underestimate self study. I picked up both anatomy and physiology coloring books this summer, 2 or 3 months before paramedic school started. It was great because I had a grasp of the concepts and really good recall of the terminology before class. It helped me a great deal. Good luck.

I have to agree with you on the coloring books, I picked two up and they helped me a great deal. My copy of Netter's Anatomy came in the mail today, and all I can say is wow, those are some gorgeous pictures with so much detail.

A thought crossed my mind today, the anatomical illustrations always use lush colors, obviously to help you better differentiate the components of the body, but in the actual human body, these parts (the organs of the abdomen come to mind) probably 'mush' together and are harder to tell apart, so maybe a book featuring photos is in order as well.

A thought crossed my mind today, the anatomical illustrations always use lush colors, obviously to help you better differentiate the components of the body, but in the actual human body, these parts (the organs of the abdomen come to mind) probably 'mush' together and are harder to tell apart, so maybe a book featuring photos is in order as well.

Also, there's a good atlas called Color Atlas of Anatomy, which is a photographic atlas. Not as schematic as Netter, but good for guidance at dissections and to prepare for practical exams on cadavers. That one is by Roher (spelling?) and some others.

This one is pretty good. I have a copy, it's great to have to see what it really looks like. Netter is, of course, clearer and easier to understand, but after you've grasped that and you want to see how it really looks, this book is what you want.

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-Anatomy-...1592&sr=8-1

Core Concepts in Anatomy by Stern. Not a great book for learning basic anatomy, but once you have learned anatomy it will help you tie in everything that you have learned to your clinical practice.