RN vs Medic

AnnaBanana

Like Dust, I too have been both for several decades before it was popular. I agree that ICU/CCU is great but as well ER's can be life learning as well. A good ICU that has the capability of teaching is wonderful, but be cautious many have so many "assistants" and health providers, I have seen nurses totally ignorant on ventilators and balloon pumps, as well even basic arrhythmias due to EKG techs monitoring for them. So be careful and selective.

I agree as well, get your BSN, it will open many doors much more than any EMS degree, as well, if one wants to really pursue EMS, one can still do so.

Again, good luck in your endevaour.

R/r 911

You're dealing with two similar, but very different fields. I think it's great that you're doing both, and you'll be able to write your ticket with both. I know several people who do both, and love it. I think Paramedics are very underappreciated by Nurses and by the world, but we as medics underappreciate the nurses. Personally, I'd like to see nurses spend some of their clinical time in an ambulance so they'd realize that if we don't come in to the ER with a critical patient, always having blood drawn, 2 IV's, 12-lead 'ECG's, 3 sets of vital signs, intubation, and and a hospital gown....doesn't necessarily mean we're incompetent. I think we all just need to realize that we work in two different fields that MUST learn to work together and appreciate the work of the other. Good luck on school!!!

The only thing I think I personally would change would be my nursing focus. Yeah, ER sounds like big fun, but it's actually not that great. It gets to be a pretty boring routine rather quickly, just like EMS. You have almost no independance or autonomy. And you just don't learn that much. It's a lot of monkey skills practise, just like a crummy EMS system. You would benefit much more from ICU or CCU nursing. You would gaien much more useful knowledge and experience, greatly enhancing your confidence as a medic. And if you do ever want to go airborne, ICU/CCU experience and certification are the golden keys.

Good luck, and have fun!

Thanks for that Dust, I have been debating my focus. I was thinking ER because it was the most like EMS. Yet I was also thinking the units might be a bit more interesting. You have given me a bit more to think about.

Peace,

Marty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.