Cellular Based Disease Pathology

Snafu3532

I am currently enrolled in a Cellular Biology class and for a final project we have to present a disease from the cellular level. I am aware of quite a few diseases with a basis in cellular function, such as malformed hemoglobin in sickle cell anemia, or the defective sodium chloride pumps in cystic fibrosis. However, I figured I would present this on the forum and see what kind of cellular pathology based ailments you fine ladies and gents knew of. Perhaps some that are not hereditary?

Thanks to all for any responses, and enjoy thinking on the micro level for a change!!

(I wasn't entirely sure which category this fit under, so I apologize in advance if my placement offended anyone)

Diabetes would be a good one because it's one you'll encounter in EMS often. You can keep it just cellular or take it down to the genetic HLA genetic level.

Cancer (a specific kind) could also be informative. Multiple myeloma? Ovarian? Colon? Breast? These the ones I've most seen in the field.

How about a neurological disease? You'll see those in the field. Alzheimer's...Lou Gehrig's...Depression.

What areas are you interested in?

Hey thanks for the response,

Diabetes is a good one, since it is so very prevalent. I think I would prefer to do something a little less obvious than cancer. I think Alzheimers might have great potential because I already know it has something to do with protein folding. I am really interested in cardiology, but can only think of systemic or organ related diseases and nothing on the cellular level.

I am also curious if there is anything bacterial or virus related out there, like how Cholera activates the chloride channels in cells causing the systemic response. However I have covered this particular disease in depth in a previous class, and would like to explore something new.

You could explorer Long QT syndrome for a cardiology one. Not a particularly exciting one...but you'll learn a lo about the heart and how conduction occurs.

For an actual pathogen topic....you could explore AIDS...tetanus...heck common colds / upper respiratory diseases and associated immune responses...I've been at work for over a day with little sleep, so I'm kind of drawing a blank on others.

I would almost suggest moving away from the tired same old, same old, that everyone does. How about presenting something where the patient's whole life is affected like in xenodoses pigmentdoses.

People being afraid of you because you have a different skin color?

:scratch:

Peace,

Marty

Xeroderma pigmentosa [sorry, I misspelled it the first time] is a genetic disorder where cells lacks the ability to repair pyrimidine dimers. Unfortunately, this means that just about any exposure to UV radiation [ex, sun light] will cause DNA damage. Thus, the patient is at an extreme risk for developing skin cancer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.